Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

I’m using my iPhone SE 2020 as a hotspot for my Ipad.

I‘m getting droping connections.

On investigation, it says I have a “common network name”. ok - my phone is called ”iPhone” - the default. Doh!

Whats the best way to change the iPhone name?

The issues I’m seeing is:

1. iTunes back up

- If I change the name on just the phone, does that mean that ITunes will do a new 50Gb backup of the ”New” phone?
- I’m onto my 4th Iphone now, so would appreciate no more Zombie storage using backups etc.

2. Changing Iphone name on ITUNES
- Can I do this? Not sure if I saw an option for this
- What other issues can occur here?

3. Security
- Erm, if I give the phone my name or wording associate with me, am I posting a banner up for hacks, theft etc? (E.g. Chap has left the building to go to his car, but his iPhone is still at his table etc...)

Hope you can advise.

Thanks,
Martin

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi All,

I’m using my iPhone SE 2020 as a hotspot for my Ipad.

I‘m getting droping connections.

On investigation, it says I have a “common network name”. ok - my phone is called ”iPhone” - the default. Doh!

Whats the best way to change the iPhone name?

The issues I’m seeing is:

1. iTunes back up

- If I change the name on just the phone, does that mean that ITunes will do a new 50Gb backup of the ”New” phone?
- I’m onto my 4th Iphone now, so would appreciate no more Zombie storage using backups etc.

2. Changing Iphone name on ITUNES
- Can I do this? Not sure if I saw an option for this
- What other issues can occur here?

3. Security
- Erm, if I give the phone my name or wording associate with me, am I posting a banner up for hacks, theft etc? (E.g. Chap has left the building to go to his car, but his iPhone is still at his table etc...)

Hope you can advise.

Thanks,
Martin
Where do you see that message about common network name?

As far as changing the name, the simplest way is to do it on the device itself when you go to Settings > General > About > Name

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Also, device name does not really pose any security threat on its own. You can change to whatever you want. iTunes does not recognise iOS devices based on device name, but other identifiers such as device serial number, so changing device name will not impact iTunes syncing feature in any way.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Where do you see that message about common network name?

As far as changing the name, the simplest way is to do it on the device itself when you go to Settings > General > About > Name

Hi C,

RE: Common Nectwork Name:

Its on the Settings > WiFi > Hotspot (When I have Iphone selected.)

There is a ”?“ next to it, I clicked on it, and it came up with the above advise.

Hope that helps :)

Martin
[automerge]1596277555[/automerge]
Also, device name does not really pose any security threat on its own. You can change to whatever you want. iTunes does not recognise iOS devices based on device name, but other identifiers such as device serial number, so changing device name will not impact iTunes syncing feature in any way.

Thanks S,

that’s good to know :)

I’ll think up a silly unrelated name for the phone then!

Regards
Martin

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
its best to have a unique or at least not very common name for the iPhone so that its easier to identify when using hotspots

Sometimes though, it’s better to have a very generic or common iPhone name so that when you send some random person in public a funny meme via a Bluetooth connection, they have no idea who sent it to them. Such as on a plane. Or in church.

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
When I was a network admin, I had to remind staff that the name of their iPhone is what showed up on my DHCP server for wireless connections. A few of them changed their phone name to something more decent. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.