Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2019
NC Mountains
Considering a) my wife's 5s took an inadvertent bath, b) we're out of our current contracts, and c) Verizon is running a decent Mother's Day promo, I need advice for upgrading our old 16GB 5ses.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, so what's your take on the following options:

1) Take advantage of the BOGO on two XRs for $750 and get hooked by Verizon for another two years.

Pros:
  • New gen phone that shouldn't need upgrading for a while
  • 64 gigs of space
  • Good new camera
Cons:
  • $750
  • Stuck with Verizon for another two years
  • More than 64 gigs would be nice
2) Spend $400-$500 on two unlocked 6ses with 128 gigs.

Pros:
  • Save some $$
  • No contract (so I can move to Spectrum mobile in one month when we get high speed internet - woot!)
Cons:
  • Still $400-$500
  • Only one gen better
  • Potential for shady online seller
Please help - I'd love to read other options or opinions. Note we're - what I think - fairly typical middle-aged smartphone users. Moderate internet, camera, and app usage. The wife Facebooks and I sink way too much time into Magic Duels and Skyforce when not listening to EDM on Pandora. Thank you.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Considering a) my wife's 5s took an inadvertent bath, b) we're out of our current contracts, and c) Verizon is running a decent Mother's Day promo, I need advice for upgrading our old 16GB 5ses.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, so what's your take on the following options:

1) Take advantage of the BOGO on two XRs for $750 and get hooked by Verizon for another two years.

Pros:
  • 64 gigs of space
  • Good new camera
Cons:
  • $750

Pros:
  • Save some $$
  • No contract (so I can move to Spectrum mobile in one month when we get high speed internet - woot!)
Cons:
  • Still $400-$500
  • Only one gen better
Please help - I'd love to read other options or opinions. Note we're - what I think - fairly typical middle-aged smartphone users. Moderate internet, camera, and app usage. The wife Facebooks and I sink way too much time into Magic Duels and Skyforce when not listening to EDM on Pandora. Thank you.
If it were me, I would go for the two xrs’. The 6s, as good a phone as they were will become long in the tooth in 2 years.

Unless the cost of spectrum mobile will be more cost efficient than potentially replacing phones that may require service, bought from a shady seller...being stuck with Verizon isn’t all that horrible.

Good luck. The xr is a fantastic phone, my wife has one.

Reactions: emlit

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Is there a plan c?

Neither of those options sound appealing tbh. perhaps you should contact Verizon’s retention department and tell them you wanted to leave, and see what else they can offer you.

Or if you do decide to go with spectrum you could pick up an iPhone XR on apples upgrade program, and/or trade in your current phone.

Reactions: Digger148 and emlit

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Take advantage of the BOGO on two XRs...
I suspect this isn't an option for you. BOGOs usually require that you establish a new line of service. That's their catch. It's a "free" phone for new service. Since you already have two lines of service, is it worth it to you to contractually obligate yourself to a third line for two years to save some money up front? Probably not.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
6S is two gens better

Pros:
  • 64 gigs of space
  • Good new camera
Cons:
  • $750

Pros:
  • Save some $$
Cons:
  • Still $400-$500
  • Only one gen better
6s is two gens better

5s - A7

6s - A9

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Two XRs. Probably you won’t be buying a new phone in 2 years time anyway with an XR. 64GB can be more than enough with iCloud 50GB storage which is really cheap.

I’m in a 2 years contract with my XR since this year March 1. I’m not even remotely regretting it.

Reactions: Digger148 and emlit

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think what @chabig said is key here and needs considered up front. Unless you are willing to add a new line of service, and then cancel one of your existing lines (thus one of you taking on a brand new phone number), the BOGO won’t apply to you. Just want to be sure you are aware of that.

The 6s is a great phone, but it’s also 4 months away from being 4 generations old. If you tend to keep phones a long time, as I suppose you do, they may begin to show their age sooner than later as more complex versions of iOS become more demanding of the phone’s internals. Just my thoughts.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
How about two used unlocked iPhone 7 Plus 128GB off eBay in good condition from a reputable seller with free returns? They would run about $650 total. They are good and fast phones. If you specifically look for unlocked former Verizon models. You can use them with Verizon or any GSM carrier. You are free to then look around at monthly plans or prepaid plans from multiple carriers.

In the long haul they could be significantly cheaper than the Verizon Xr deal. Assuming you jump to a cheaper prepaid plan. It's only a little more than your 6s plan. For a significantly faster phone.

Reactions: jakeuten and emlit

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013

Pros:
  • 64 gigs of space
  • Good new camera
Cons:
  • $750

Pros:
  • Save some $$
Cons:
  • Still $400-$500
  • Only one gen better

If you like the 5S then you'll love the 6S.
In a nutshell they are chalk and cheese with the 5S being the worst* iPhone I have ever owned and the 6S being one of the best (X is is the best I have owned so far).
We have a 6S and an XR in use at the moment and both are great, but the XR is too big for my liking.

Go for the XR if you can stretch to it, but try one out first to make sure it's right for you.

*total dross, slow, fragile, terrible quality - the bath is the best thing for it, or the bin is a close second.

emlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2019
NC Mountains
If it were me, I would go for the two xrs’. The 6s, as good a phone as they were will become long in the tooth in 2 years.

Unless the cost of spectrum mobile will be more cost efficient than potentially replacing phones that may require service, bought from a shady seller...being stuck with Verizon isn’t all that horrible.

Good luck. The xr is a fantastic phone, my wife has one.

Many thanks for the feedback.
[doublepost=1557366685][/doublepost]
A more affordable option might be to purchase a new unlocked iPhone SE from Apple's Clearance page for $249.

That was a great idea. Regrettably, it appears as though I missed out - there are no 128GB options left. If I'm going to upgrade, I'd prefer to do so getting my needs more fully met.
[doublepost=1557366863][/doublepost]
Is there a plan c?

Neither of those options sound appealing tbh. perhaps you should contact Verizon’s retention department and tell them you wanted to leave, and see what else they can offer you.

Or if you do decide to go with spectrum you could pick up an iPhone XR on apples upgrade program, and/or trade in your current phone.

Plan C is whatever best option folks who know more about this stuff offer. I don't claim to be an expert which is why I'm soliciting opinions. I'll reach out to Verizon and see what they can do for a long-time customer. Thank you for the suggestion.
[doublepost=1557366985][/doublepost]
I suspect this isn't an option for you. BOGOs usually require that you establish a new line of service. That's their catch. It's a "free" phone for new service. Since you already have two lines of service, is it worth it to you to contractually obligate yourself to a third line for two years to save some money up front? Probably not.

Maybe I'm wrong, but can't I just delete the existing lines after getting new lines? I'm way out of contract and don't mind a new number (it's actually a plus so co-workers won't bother me on weekends...).
[doublepost=1557367059][/doublepost]
Two XRs. Probably you won’t be buying a new phone in 2 years time anyway with an XR. 64GB can be more than enough with iCloud 50GB storage which is really cheap.

I’m in a 2 years contract with my XR since this year March 1. I’m not even remotely regretting it.

Good thought about the iCloud storage - I appreciate it.
[doublepost=1557367108][/doublepost]
Try the XR first, is heavy and thick, coming from an 5s you will notice a lot

Great advice. I never thought of this. I'll check it out in a store tomorrow.
[doublepost=1557367253][/doublepost]
I think what @chabig said is key here and needs considered up front. Unless you are willing to add a new line of service, and then cancel one of your existing lines (thus one of you taking on a brand new phone number), the BOGO won’t apply to you. Just want to be sure you are aware of that.

The 6s is a great phone, but it’s also 4 months away from being 4 generations old. If you tend to keep phones a long time, as I suppose you do, they may begin to show their age sooner than later as more complex versions of iOS become more demanding of the phone’s internals. Just my thoughts.

Right - the new number idea doesn't bother me. I'm absolutely concerned about the old hardware but am trying to weigh that against the cost of the newer technology.
[doublepost=1557367359][/doublepost]
How about two used unlocked iPhone 7 Plus 128GB off eBay in good condition from a reputable seller with free returns? They would run about $650 total. They are good and fast phones. If you specifically look for unlocked former Verizon models. You can use them with Verizon or any GSM carrier. You are free to then look around at monthly plans or prepaid plans from multiple carriers.

In the long haul they could be significantly cheaper than the Verizon Xr deal. Assuming you jump to a cheaper prepaid plan. It's only a little more than your 6s plan. For a significantly faster phone.

Fantastic suggestion. I don't think the Plus size is needed, but I'll check into iPhone 7 costs.
[doublepost=1557367581][/doublepost]
If you like the 5S then you'll love the 6S.
In a nutshell they are chalk and cheese with the 5S being the worst* iPhone I have ever owned and the 6S being one of the best (X is is the best I have owned so far).
We have a 6S and an XR in use at the moment and both are great, but the XR is too big for my liking.

Go for the XR if you can stretch to it, but try one out first to make sure it's right for you.

*total dross, slow, fragile, terrible quality - the bath is the best thing for it, or the bin is a close second.

Awesome! Love the candor. Good call to play with the XR first. I'll be sure to tell my wife that you support the bath as a means to an end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lekro

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That was a great idea. Regrettably, it appears as though I missed out - there are no 128GB options left. If I'm going to upgrade, I'd prefer to do so getting my needs more fully met.

If you survived with 16GB, then a 32GB device should be plenty. If you don't intend to keep thousands of photos on your device, consider 32GB. For example, Google Drive allows free unlimited storage if you're willing to let it compress images down to 16MP and video down to 1080P. From a practical perspective, many people can't see the difference unless they zoom in 5x.

emlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2019
NC Mountains
If you survived with 16GB, then a 32GB device should be plenty. If you don't intend to keep thousands of photos on your device, consider 32GB. For example, Google Drive allows free unlimited storage if you're willing to let it compress images down to 16MP and video down to 1080P. From a practical perspective, many people can't see the difference unless they zoom in 5x.

Thanks, but I literally have no storage for anything other than a minimum number of apps. I would also like some space for more than a dozen photos and another game or two. The only music I have is a ringtone; I travel on occasion and hate that I have to carry around an iPod. 32GB won't meet my needs.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota

I like your suggestion, but OP should be wary of Qualcomm model modem failure on the 7 series. Stick to a 6s or 8 or newer if you're buying used. Swappa is also a good place to look.

Mr.Bigglesworth

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
The BOGO deal is if you open up a new line.

What I would do, is get a couple of used 7 Plus’s.

You’d be paying almost the same amount for the 2 6’s and they are faster with plenty of storage.

My 7Plus was fantastic and I miss using it dearly. But I am absolutely in love with my iPhone X at the moment.

The XR is a great phone nonetheless. Upgrading to an XR from the 5s is like going from a V6 Camry to an Aston Martin.

In your case though, I’d say go for a 7Plus so you can at least have 1st generation portrait mode.

emlit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2019
NC Mountains
Everyone,

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback. After much research, lengthy conversations with my wife, internal reflection, and taking into account the forum discussion, I made the call to get two new 128 GB iPhone 6ses. Ultimately, we were less interested in snazzy features that may get minimal use and more interested in a relatively inexpensive, reliable phone with the space to address all of our wants and needs (so many nifty apps!). The Plus models just seemed too large and cumbersome. Thanks again for the support!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.