Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Every time a have a problem with my phone, I restore it. And on the internet, when someone has a problem with the iphone, all users suggest a clean restore. Do I really have to do this all the time? Lose my data every 3-4 weeks?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You certainly don't need to restore so often and generally shouldn't need to do it more than just when really needed on a rare occasion.

What sort of issues are you having that you are restoring your phone so often?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
You certainly don't need to restore so often and generally shouldn't need to do it more than just when really needed on a rare occasion.

What sort of issues are you having that you are restoring your phone so often?

Mostly "other" data problems.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Mostly "other" data problems.

If you are talking about "other" space that is there and occasionally going up or down a bit, that's not unusual and doesn't really need a restore unless you are somehow running out of space because of it. Now if it's constantly increasing and getting to be too much, that's a bit different.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
If you are talking about "other" space that is there and occasionally going up or down a bit, that's not unusual and doesn't really need a restore unless you are somehow running out of space because of it. Now if it's constantly increasing and getting to be too much, that's a bit different.

I feel like after a while, the iphone becomes slow, sluggish and buggy, health data disappearing, safari freezing, a lot of storage wasted by app caches, battery problems. For example, today my iphone stopped ringing, the sound was gone when someone was calling me even though I checked the settings.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Every time I've restored my iPhone from scratch :
1. It was a PITA.
and
2. My problems came back after a few weeks.

Only problems I came up with though are related about synchronization with iTunes (podcasts never sync'ed for me, sync'ing hanging, mixing up my photos, mixing up my album arts...)

I think the "restoring" your iOS Device solution is as cliché as "formatting" your computer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I feel like after a while, the iphone becomes slow, sluggish and buggy, health data disappearing, safari freezing, a lot of storage wasted by app caches, battery problems. For example, today my iphone stopped ringing, the sound was gone when someone was calling me even though I checked the settings.
Well, that's normally not the case for most I would say. Perhaps there's something odd with your phone or your setup.

Are you running low on space in general?

Has simply restarting the phone solved any issues?

Have you tried restoring as new without putting on a backup in case there's some issue there?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Well, that's normally not the case for most I would say. Perhaps there's something odd with your phone or your setup.

Are you running low on space in general?

Has simply restarting the phone solved any issues?

Have you tried restoring as new without putting on a backup in case there's some issue there?

That's the problem, I always restore and start from scratch. I have a 16gb 5s and restarting solves the problem but only for a while. I had these problems on other iphones like 4, 4s but never on ipads.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's the problem, I always restore and start from scratch. I have a 16gb 5s and restarting solves the problem but only for a while. I had these problems on other iphones like 4, 4s but never on ipads.
Quite odd. I've had a 16 GB iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 and haven't had issues like that. I definitely had "other" space that would increase at times, as pretty much everyone does, but it never affected much and I would still generally have at least 2 GB free on my phone.

If you are doing any iTunes sync or some other iTunes related activity, I'd try not do it if you can to see if that might make a difference.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Do you ever restore your data from a backup?

I routinely restore my phone as a new device, and then restore the apps and data using a backup about once every other month. I primarily do this in order to keep the "Other" directory from ballooning out of control.

I use iTunes Match, and anytime a playlist download gets interrupted, then I wind up with a huge chunk of garbage data. This also happens if app downloads stop in the middle. And if I clear out the streamed songs, the index data does not always get completely purged. The only way to clear all that space is to restore as new.

Whenever I restore my phone and then restore the data from a backup, all I have to do is re-enter the passcode and rescan my fingerprints for Touch ID. Everything else is exactly as it was, except with at least 1.5 GB of space freed up. Using iTunes will ensure that all of the app data reloads onto the phone (iCloud will only restore data that you sync to the cloud, and it does not restore text messages).

Keep in mind that as system and app caches rebuild, much of this free space will go away through normal use. But, if you have a lot of junk data built up in the "Other" directory, then restoring as a new device is something you will want to do as a matter of maintenance.

----------

How much storage space do you have left?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I don't think restoring from a backup in general causes problems, but more specifically the restoring of the settings from a backup.

I just got an iPhone 5S... I restored my iPhone 4 backup to it (a backup that's been rolling since my iPhone 3GS). This backup is basically 5 years old at this point, and I have zero problems.

The key is to do a a Reset All for everything in the Reset menu except of course the "Erase All Content and Settings", and then do all your settings again as if setting up from new.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Do you ever restore your data from a backup?

I routinely restore my phone as a new device, and then restore the apps and data using a backup about once every other month. I primarily do this in order to keep the "Other" directory from ballooning out of control.

I use iTunes Match, and anytime a playlist download gets interrupted, then I wind up with a huge chunk of garbage data. This also happens if app downloads stop in the middle. And if I clear out the streamed songs, the index data does not always get completely purged. The only way to clear all that space is to restore as new.

Whenever I restore my phone and then restore the data from a backup, all I have to do is re-enter the passcode and rescan my fingerprints for Touch ID. Everything else is exactly as it was, except with at least 1.5 GB of space freed up. Using iTunes will ensure that all of the app data reloads onto the phone (iCloud will only restore data that you sync to the cloud, and it does not restore text messages).

Keep in mind that as system and app caches rebuild, much of this free space will go away through normal use. But, if you have a lot of junk data built up in the "Other" directory, then restoring as a new device is something you will want to do as a matter of maintenance.

----------

How much storage space do you have left?

1.2 gb other. Also, how can I keep my Health data if I restore from a backup?
I've also tried "battery doctor" to clear cache once and it did a pretty good job cleaning the cache but not the other data and than I restored again and set up as clean.
e391eb2acb061da907a9bbb385308059.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1.2 gb other. Also, how can I keep my Health data if I restore from a backup?
I've also tried "battery doctor" to clear cache once and it did a pretty good job cleaning the cache but not the other data and than I restored again and set up as clean. Image
1.2 GB of "other" isn't really much as far as "other" generally goes. Doubtful that's responsible for anything, unless your device is completely filled up and basically has no free space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.