Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I cant wait to get my iPhone 3Gs but I really hate how apple is to cheap to include the dock. My V1 came with on and i used it every single day. Helps keep you from scratching the back of it. Now im going to have to pay 30 dollars for a piece of plastic. How can they charge that much?

shollingsw3

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2007
Might want to check on eBay first before you go out and buy one. I was able to get a brand new one for only $10.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Nobody is forcing me to buy anything. I love my dock now and this one does fit in the 3G one. Ill check ebay

tjhilder

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Kent, UK
I bought a couple on ebay for £5 each for my 3G, although on one of them the audio socket was dodgy so they sent me another one for free, so i keep the dodgy one for charging by my bed :cool:

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Last year people talked about how they could take a knife to the V1 dock and make it fit. You can do that. But I use my dock everyday, all the time, so the $30 is worth it.

Maybe you'd be better off getting a universal dock and then you'll always know it will fit.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I cant wait to get my iPhone 3Gs but I really hate how apple is to cheap to include the dock. My V1 came with on and i used it every single day. Helps keep you from scratching the back of it. Now im going to have to pay 30 dollars for a piece of plastic. How can they charge that much?

It's the same way they can charge $2500 for a Mac Pro, because they can and people WILL pay the price.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009

They can justify it because people like you will run out and pay the rediculous price to buy it.

I passed on the wall charger for my ipod touch because the damn thing was $30. Apples prices are insane. I found the same apple brand charger on ebay for $10.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Use a Dremel tool on the dock you have and in 5 minutes your new 3G will fit in your old dock.

There are pics on how to do it in another thread.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
same way they can justify 19.99 for a usb cable...

I freaking hate that. My little brother bought a dozen or so chinese knock-offs from the internets and they actually work. About a buck a piece too. He's going to get more, he says they're going to be stocking stuffers this xmas.

I wanted an iPod dock to match the Seagate HDD dock I have on my desk so I could rival some of the setups on "Post your setup part (x)" but they want $50. eBay seems to be full of chinese crap and those idiots that decided to start their own online business selling the same stuff for the same price in twelve different auctions.:mad:

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
if youre gonna buy a new dockstation with your own money, think about the universal dock that fits all the iphones, ipods and probably will fit the 4th gen iphone as well.

what you can find for 10-15$ on ebay isnt the original but the only difference is an alert message everytime you connect your device, its still sync and charge (with 2.2.1, i dont know about 3.0) and its cost quarter of the original.

when i say universal dock, i mean only the ones that include adapters\inserts, like that:
b426_1.JPG

Not_for_iphone.jpg

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.