Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
My little girl got hold of my iPhone 6 and somehow managed to bypass the fingerprint reader and security code and get into the phone. Then she started pushing buttons and initiated the "Erase All Content and Settings" selection. When I was able to grab the phone from her, the phone was at the screen that allows you to choose the language you want the phone to run in...the screen that says, "Hello and Ola and Bonjour, etc." It's like the iphone is being setup for first time use. How on earth can I abort this process, or is it too late? Got thousands of photos on this phone that have not been backed up. Definitely don't want to lose them.

Thanks Folks!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Too late. Restore from backup.
Not one to preach but how important are photos that are never backed up? ICloud backup is so easy...

Reactions: 2ndtry

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My little girl got hold of my iPhone 6 and somehow managed to bypass the fingerprint reader and security code and get into the phone. Then she started pushing buttons and initiated the "Erase All Content and Settings" selection. When I was able to grab the phone from her, the phone was at the screen that allows you to choose the language you want the phone to run in...the screen that says, "Hello and Ola and Bonjour, etc." It's like the iphone is being setup for first time use. How on earth can I abort this process, or is it too late? Got thousands of photos on this phone that have not been backed up. Definitely don't want to lose them.

Thanks Folks!
Doesn't the erase content also ask for the passcode? Seems like she'd really need to know it and really be set on doing all of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Doesn't the erase content also ask for the passcode? Seems like she'd really need to know that and really be set on doing that.

Absolutely, there is not a chance that she would have entered the correct password by just randomly clicking the screen while in the Erase all settings and content menu.

To answer the OP's question, i'm sorry but it's too late, i hope you have some recent itunes backup you can restore to atleast get some of your data back.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Absolutely, there is not a chance that she would have entered the correct password by just randomly clicking the screen while in the Erase all settings and content menu.

To answer the OP's question, i'm sorry but it's too late, i hope you have some recent itunes backup you can restore to atleast get some of your data back.
I'm wondering if it was more related to the option of erasing the phone after 10 incorrect attempts, if that option was enabled. Although even there it would lock someone out after 5 or so incorrect attempts to unlock and keep on increasing the lockout time up to about a day or so before they could get 10 attempts in.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I'm wondering if it was more related to the option of erasing the phone after 10 incorrect attempts, if that option was enabled. Although even there it would lock someone out after 5 or so incorrect attempts to unlock and keep on increasing the lockout time up to about a day or so before they could get 10 attempts in.

I think you're absolutely correct, i didn't even think about that safety setting that erases the phone after an X amount of unsuccessful tries. thats most likely what happened in this case.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I think you're absolutely correct, i didn't even think about that safety setting that erases the phone after an X amount of unsuccessful tries. thats most likely what happened in this case.

Just a note here. Trying to enter the passcode too many times can disable the phone, regardless of whether "self destruct" after 10 tries is or is not enabled. But it takes a bit of time because it makes you wait longer and longer the more times you try. According to https://www.anysoftwaretools.com/iphone-erase-data-failed-passcode/

Screenshot 2017-12-17 21.50.40.png

If she'd tried 10x to input your password it would have made you plug into iTunes, and somehow with a 1:10,000 shot of randomly inputing a 4-digit PIN (1 in a million with 6 digits) you are quite unlucky that she got in with only 10 trys.

However, even if you don't have "erase after 10 attempts" turned on, that website said the last chance you have to make things right is to ensure you enter the right passcode once the "Enter Passcode" window shows again after you connect the device to an authorized computer.

Assuming she got lucky in the 1 in 10K chance of hitting your passcode (which would take at least 1 hour 21 minutes to get to 10 tries), it either went with the erase after 10 attempts, or if you didn't select that somehow she managed to also randomly enter settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings! There are dozens of options to randomly click on the first 2 pages of settings > general, and 6 more options to click on the reset page, which are again astronomical odds.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I think everything’s gone by now, but maybe there is some way to get it? I have not a clue. Every time I erased and hit the hello screen I don’t remember ever seeing old data again. I keep backups pretty regularly. Not as often as I should. But I suppose it’s enough. The worst was 6 months I think. But usually 4 weeks at worst. Maybe average is 2.5 weeks.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
This is why I have my iPhone backup to the iCloud every day automatically, since I only connect to the computer and sync maybe 1x a week. This way I always have a recent backup if something bad happens.

I'll still do a manual backup to iTunes after I sync each week, just to have a spare backup for more safety, and I do prefer to do a manual backup before I wipe and restore a phone or upgrade to a new phone, since the restore from iTunes is faster and will also put back content that I ripped from DVD and CD.

I have two phone lines, and my other phone is a clone of the primary phone, so I also have that backup I can use. With wifi calling and allowing calls on other devices, and text message forwarding and iMessage, my other phone always has a copy of the messages and calls logs from my primary phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.