Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I have 4 internal drives in my older Mac Pro, and I want to use some of them as storage for my Mac Mini, effectively giving my MM more external storage, while keeping the drives inside the MP.

So my question is, if this is even possible, what would be the best way to connect the 2 machines in order to have the drives show up on my MM desktop or Finder?

When I simply connected them using a USB cable, I didn't see the Mac Pro show up anywhere on the Mac Mini.

I want to use cables rather than a network wifi connection if possible.

MacPro 2008 this is an intel machine running El Capitan
MacMini M2 Pro Silicon / Ventura 13.4.1

Thanks!

Last edited:

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Two Options:
1: Apple TB3 (USB-C) to TB2 adapter > Apple TB2 to FW800 adapter. (so Mac Mini>TB3 to TB2>TB2 to FW800>FW800 cable to Mac Pro).
2. Install a modded TB3 card (GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge) into the Mac Pro and use OpenCore Bootloader to enable it. Then, just use a TB3/4 to TB3/4 cable to connect the two machines together.

Boot the mac Pro into Target Disk Mode (Hold T at startup) and the drives should pop up on the Mac Mini.

Reactions: DustyShaw

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have 4 internal drives in my older Mac Pro, and I want to use some of them as storage for my Mac Mini, effectively giving my MM more external storage, while keeping the drives inside the MP.
@DustyShaw is implying they want to use the drives as external storage for the MM, not just a one-time or infrequent connect, i.e. using an old MP effectively as an external storage enclosure. Sharing the drives via networking is easy and makes the most sense, either via wired or wireless. More info from them regarding their use case would be helpful.

Reactions: bobcomer

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Two Options:
1: Apple TB3 (USB-C) to TB2 adapter > Apple TB2 to FW800 adapter. (so Mac Mini>TB3 to TB2>TB2 to FW800>FW800 cable to Mac Pro).
2. Install a modded TB3 card (GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge) into the Mac Pro and use OpenCore Bootloader to enable it. Then, just use a TB3/4 to TB3/4 cable to connect the two machines together.

Boot the mac Pro into Target Disk Mode (Hold T at startup) and the drives should pop up on the Mac Mini.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. So after making the connection, I'd startup in target disc mode. Does that mean I would need to startup in target disc mode every time I wanted to see the drives on the Mac Mini?

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
@DustyShaw is implying they want to use the drives as external storage for the MM, not just a one-time or infrequent connect, i.e. using an old MP effectively as an external storage enclosure.
This is exactly right.

Sharing the drives via networking is easy and makes the most sense, either via wired or wireless. More info from them regarding their use case would be helpful.
In response to your first question from yesterday, I originally thought it would affect download speeds for everyone in the house, but maybe that's wrong...? I'm willing to do a wireless connect if that's the best way to go.

My use case it exactly what you wrote -- using my MP as an external storage enclosure. I will be using at least one of the MP drives to backup files from my MacMini everyday, so ideally it will be connected to the MM all the time with the drives easily accessible on the desktop.

Please share your opinion (if you have one) on which would work better in my case - wired or wireless - if there's any advantage to one or the other.

And I'd appreciate your guidance on how to set up the networking that you recommend.

Thanks!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think you would be better getting something like an OWC thunderbay, which you can put all your drives in and connect direct to your mini via TB, which would be much faster than any cMP connection. Depending on your drives HDD or SSD, there are different models.

Using a 2008 MP as a drive enclosure will use a lot of power also.

FirDerrig33

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2017
California

So my question is, if this is even possible, what would be the best way to connect the 2 machines in order to have the drives show up on my MM desktop or Finder?

When I simply connected them using a USB cable, I didn't see the Mac Pro show up anywhere on the Mac Mini.

I want to use cables rather than a network wifi connection if possible.

MacPro 2008 this is an intel machine running El Capitan
MacMini M2 Pro Silicon / Ventura 13.4.1

Thanks!
What are the HDD capacities in the MP? Depending on that, it might make more sense to do the thunder bay as suggested by another responder or maybe even something like a 5TB WD USB 3 portable gaming drive. That's what I'm using for my iTunes with my 2014 Mac mini and it's pretty awesome.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Please share your opinion (if you have one) on which would work better in my case - wired or wireless - if there's any advantage to one or the other.
Wired ethernet is always going to be better than wireless. More reliable and faster. At least with any wireless your Mini and MP have.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I guess it's just me, but this sounds like "doing it the hard way".

I would just take one or two of the drives OUT OF the old Mac Pro.

Then, get a USB3/SATA docking station (cheap and many choices).

Then, use the "bare drives" in the dock for Mini storage and backup.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I actually agree with you but perspective is key here. Depending on their experience and comfort level with opening their Mac, removing the drives, and installing drives, @DustyShaw might be inclined to see our suggestions as "doing it the hard way". I guess we wait to hear back from them after they've had a chance to consider our opinions and suggestions.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Wired ethernet is always going to be better than wireless. More reliable and faster.

6E can be up to 50% faster than wired ethernet. Reliability right now is generally good since there aren't many 6E networks causing contention.

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I think you would be better getting something like an OWC thunderbay, which you can put all your drives in and connect direct to your mini via TB, which would be much faster than any cMP connection. Depending on your drives HDD or SSD, there are different models.

Using a 2008 MP as a drive enclosure will use a lot of power also.
I would love to get a Thunderbay but it's not in my budget at the moment. One of the reasons I thought to use my MP as a storage facility was to avoid spending cash on new stuff by using the drives and equipment that I already have.

I agree about the power usage.

Thanks for your ideas and the link.

Reactions: MarkC426

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
What are the HDD capacities in the MP? Depending on that, it might make more sense to do the thunder bay as suggested by another responder or maybe even something like a 5TB WD USB 3 portable gaming drive. That's what I'm using for my iTunes with my 2014 Mac mini and it's pretty awesome.
There are 4 drives ranging from 750GB to 4TB. It's the 4TB that I want to salvage the most of all the drives.

I'm not looking to spend cash right now if at all possible. New 4 TB drives are @$150 at the lowest that I found just doing a quick search on Amazon.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018

I would just take one or two of the drives OUT OF the old Mac Pro.

Then, get a USB3/SATA docking station (cheap and many choices).

Then, use the "bare drives" in the dock for Mini storage and backup.
This sounds promising. A quick search showed me very affordable options. I'll look more into it.

Thanks very much for the idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.