Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Are there any low-cost apps that will allow me to modify the fillable fields in a PDF?

I have a form I need to use, but the fontsize set for the fields means that, once you tab out of the field, they are often chopped off.
So it you enter
it becomes
The final zero appears if you tab back into that field, but it isn't displayed or printed. If I could reduce the font sizes all of the fields would display/print properly. If I try to change the fontsize in that field in Preview, it just goes back to what was set.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I've run into the same problems when filling out pdf forms.

I've learned to "work around" it. Here's what I do (using the Preview app):

First, DON'T use the "canned" entry "boxes" on the form. Just ignore them.

Instead, do this:

Go to Preview's Tools menu and choose:
Annotate -> Text

A text box will open (seems to be at random locations in the document, that's just the way it is).

When the box opens, a new "tool bar" will appear up above for "editing" the text box (font size, font style, etc.).

You can use whatever text you wish, resize the box, etc.

When done, you can use the "hand" pointer to move and place the text box "over" where needed on the form.

I've used this method to fill out tax forms, which are quite complex, and it works well for me.

It takes a little time, but may actually be less trouble than trying to "re-make" the form and then put info into the required spots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.