Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
I've added this to the Digital Video forum as it seemed the best place for it, though what I'm actually trying to do is very basic.

I've been recording some TV programmes using EyeTV. The files are automatically encoded in MPEG-2. The EyeTV2 software allows you to make simple edits such as cutting out commercials and exporting to other formats, but it doesn't allow you to insert clips or paste anything. The problem I have with a couple of consecutive recordings is that the beginning of the second show is at the end of the first file. I can save this as a separate clip but then have no way of joining it to the second recording.

I know there is an MPEG-2 Playback component available for Quicktime, but if you have Quicktime Pro then does this also allow you to EDIT (i.e. insert/paste) mpeg-2 content in the same way that you can with .mov files? If so then I'll buy it! If not, then could you please recommend any other apps? Cheers!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ewwww MPEG2 is hard to edit, its mostly an end of the road codec, with no turning back.

I personally havent tried to edit MPEG2s in the same fashion as I would .movs

I think that the MPEG2 you have is a stream, like MPEG1, and you cant cut it apart....

I will try to remember to do this at home, but maybe you will find your answer by then.

I know of a workaround in DVDSP where you just place both video files on the same video track layer and just move the in/out points of the videos so they are "as one"

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Asking how to turn MPEG-2 video into something more "edit friendly" is pretty common. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find a number of threads on the best ways to convert the MPEG-2 into another format.

Lethal

kineticpast

macrumors member
May 13, 2005
Womble Multimedia's products can all edit and save MPEG2 streams without re-encoding, but unfortunately it is only available for Windows. I'm sure that means there is a Mac app that does the same thing, I've just never found it (though I haven't really looked hard).

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Ohhh thanks very much for the replies - sorry I've not been on here a couple of days!

- The MPEG streamclip sounds interesting, I'll certainly look into that.

- As for export to iMovie, that also might be worth investigating.

So far all of my recordings are in the original MPEG-2 format and I've already edited a fair number to remove commercials etc, so I'd rather not have to reformat everything... unless there is a better format that I should be using. I don't really know much about this kind of stuff :eek:

Anyway I'll look into these suggestions. Cheers guys :)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
ffmpegX

ffmpegX

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/index.html

can convert almost anything

reads:
MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVX, XviD, non-encrypted VOB and VIDEO_TS, Quicktime .MOV, .DV, .WAV, Real Audio, Real Video, H.263, MP4 H.264, PGM, YUV, PPM, AC3, PCM8/16 bits, mulaw/Alaw, WMA-1/2, SUN AU format, MP2, MP3, AAC, 3GP, FPS1, ALAC, and even more formats

converts to:
DivX, AVI XviD, H.264 MP4, MOV, DV, 3GP, Sony PSP, MP2, MP3, AAC, AC3, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VCD, CVD, SVCD, KVCD, KSVCD, DVD, KDVD and MPEG-TS with complete control over encoding options.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Oooh another couple of suggestions - thanks guys. Now I just need this magic thing called TIME to look into those!

Oh I wish I could create an animated Green Wing avatar, but sadly the limit on file size is tiny. :dammit:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.