Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hey all,

So I have this keyboard that I purchased recently (CM STORM Devastator). It has blue backlighting, which is cool...

but the key which enables it is the scroll lock key (for whatever idiotic reason). So far, in Mac OSX, I haven't been able to have it work, even if I disable the screen-brightness-down function normally assigned to that key. Is there some program I can use that will help with this?

I have tried Karabiner before, but I'm not sure this will work. Several functions on it simply don't work because it seems to mostly be for MacBook keyboards.

Help appreciate - thanks.

-MDD

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Very funny.

I didn't know that this existed, but I ended up finding an application made specifically for this. All it does is open, run, and then close: instant backlighting for several types of keyboards. However, it's either on or off. I can't toggle it.

redetris

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2019
Very funny.

I didn't know that this existed, but I ended up finding an application made specifically for this. All it does is open, run, and then close: instant backlighting for several types of keyboards. However, it's either on or off. I can't toggle it.
Hi, can you tell me what is this app that you use successfully? I tried the run shell script route but didn't work for me. Thanks.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hi, can you tell me what is this app that you use successfully? I tried the run shell script route but didn't work for me. Thanks.

It's called LED CMSTORM; there exist a couple YouTube videos whose creators employ it. Just search how to enable backlighting, in MacOS, with a CM Storm keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.