Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Heisenberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2023
Wow!

I absolutely am running that app!

So that has been the culprit, eh?

I will open the log.txt file, delete everything in it, and then set it to block so hopefully it can't write more of them.

THANK YOU for looking at this and discovering the issue. I thought I'd never find the solution.
I was worried about this issue, what program or application could be generating this log, but luckily I was able to discover it. I am glad that my contribution was of help to you. Greetings!

• Love
Reactions: NJRonbo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I received a reply from customer service support but I don't think he understood the issue at hand:

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

After thorough discussion with our backend team, we wish to clarify that log files containing app-related error and issue data are strictly utilized for internal purposes only. These logs play a crucial role in identifying and resolving any problems to ensure a smooth and bug-free app experience for our users.

Rest assured, log files are not shared with any external users or third parties.

Thank you for your understanding.

So, I had to write back and explain that it's not a single log file that is the issue here, but hundreds of log files being written to my documents folder. I also pointed out that it's not just me having this problem. I asked if the team would be able to fix this issue and I await further response.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
These logs play a crucial role in identifying and resolving any problems to ensure a smooth and bug-free app experience for our users.
That’s a plain lie from an incompetent developer. It should’t even write into your Documents folder, that’s protected by TCC and there is no reason for such an app to access it. The log should be in the app’s sandbox ~/Library/Containers/. Delete the app and never look back.

Reactions: KaliYoni

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
It looks like the software developer is claiming no responsibility for the log files debacle.

I am just going to delete whatever is in the initial log file and then lock it so it can't be further written to. This per the instructions given in this thread.

I would like to inform you that the log files appears in screenshot are not generated by our app, as our application does not produce such extensive logs.

To resolve this issue, we kindly request for remote support with our Technical Team, please provide your availability DATE, TIME, Time ZONE, and COUNTRY NAME to investigate the matter.

Septercius

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
UK
What on earth does that data have to do with anything? I can't imagine why they need to know which country you live in. Surely it's writing these logs regardless of any of that?

Equally, how can the logs "play a crucial role" if they're just sitting on a user's SSD/hard drive?

Just delete the app and find a replacement. I can't imagine why you would want to continue using it, given the incompetence and inadequate responses you've received. I'd have no confidence in it, or the developer.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
>backend team
For a simple menubar app lmao. Not a good sign if you can't reach the dev directly for an app this simple.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I am just going to delete whatever is in the initial log file and then lock it so it can't be further written to.

If I were facing a similar situation, where software suddenly began acting differently and the developer was unresponsive, I would stop using the software because of stuff like this:

"There’s a real problem in which legitimate apps are acquired and turned into hosts for nasty, stealthy code..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.