Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
I just got my new Mac and I need to create a New Folder in System/Library but Finder won't let me make one or Copy my Folder in there.

I even tried logging in as Root, but I still can't create a Folder in there as the Root User.

How can I get Access or Control over the System Files in Mojave?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can't modify anything in the system, as SIP usually prevents that.
You may be able to add a folder, if you disable SIP first, but how would you use that folder (the system typically only allows writes to system folder by the system itself, and is not intended for your own files)?

What exactly are you trying to add to the system folder? I know you said "a New Folder", but if you are using it for your purposes, and not for the system, per se, then you may find that it will go much easier if you use the Library folder better suited for your purpose, either the root /Library, or, maybe best in your own user library (~/Library)

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
Thank you, I think that is correct I shouldn't put any folder in there. I was trying to disable the upgrade to Catalina Notification and someone had suggested I should have a folder called /System/Library/LaunchAgentsIgnored to copy com.apple.SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager.plist into to permanently get rid of it but no such folder existed on my Mac. So I was going try to make one but I decided to not worry about the Update Notification as I don't have to install Catalina unless I want to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.