Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

printrenori

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
I have a 12" MacBook, the Apple USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter, and a Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra-Mini Hub. When I plug in my Seagate portable drive to the Belkin hub, everything's fine. It connects to my computer. But when I plug in my older Toshiba portable drive to the Belkin hub, I keep hearing clicks, and it never shows up. I guess not enough power is going to the drive. I couldn't figure out how much power the Seagate drive uses, but the Toshiba one says "DC + 5V ..=.. 1.0A" on the back. I could plug in the Toshiba drive directly to the multiport adapter, but then I couldn't keep the USB hub plugged in, which has important dongles. Any ideas? Could I solve my problem by getting a USB 3.0 hub like this one? Or should I just get rid of this somewhat old drive?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Older portable drives draw more power from the USB port. You would need a powered USB hub, one that comes with an AC adapter, to feed extra power to the drive.

Pretty much this, OP. I would try and upgrade the Toshiba hard drive to one that can just doesn't need a powered hub.

printrenori

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Since a portless computer isn't designed for peripherals, you'd be best to say "ah, the sadness of someone who bought the wrong notebook".

BJ

Or maybe I still really like my computer, and I don't need Internet people who don't know me deciding that I made a bad decision.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Or maybe I still really like my computer, and I don't need Internet people who don't know me deciding that I made a bad decision.

If I told you that I was disappointed with my February trip to Iceland because my kids couldn't go swimming and there is no surfing you'd tell me that I should have done the research and chose another destination.

If I told you that I was pissed at Weber because their barbecue grills don't cool milk properly you'd tell me that I should have purchased a refrigerator.

If you tell me that your portless MacBook is a disappointment because it doesn't handle USB peripherals well I would tell you that you shouldn't have gone to Iceland thinking it's Hawaii.

BJ

Reactions: Jayderek and Queen6

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Last edited:
Reactions: Jayderek

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
It must suck knowing that my 2009 macbook is more functional in every way in comparison to your hunk (very thin hunk) of junk.

Reactions: gooser

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If I told you that I was disappointed with my February trip to Iceland because my kids couldn't go swimming and there is no surfing you'd tell me that I should have done the research and chose another destination.

If I told you that I was pissed at Weber because their barbecue grills don't cool milk properly you'd tell me that I should have purchased a refrigerator.

But, if you put the milk in a Weber while you're in Iceland it will all work out.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It must suck knowing that my 2009 macbook is more functional in every way in comparison to your hunk (very thin hunk) of junk.

It must suck knowing that some people have attained an executive career status to advance them from bashing code in a cubicle to managing a business in a wood-lined office and thus having the luxury of not needing all that functionality.

For most of us, our our RMB's are a secondary notebook, a weekend plaything that we use when we travel and thinness and lightness are the priorities. You would understand if you weren't, you know, actually pushing your seven year old laptop to its max as you labor for a living.

BJ

Reactions: Jayderek

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
It must suck knowing that some people have attained an executive career status to advance them from bashing code in a cubicle to managing a business in a wood-lined office and thus having the luxury of not needing all that functionality.

Lol. No, why would that suck for me? I am fully aware their are people who like having their own ass wiped. Economic/success status does not determine ones ability for ignorance and arrogance.

image.jpeg

For most of us, our our RMB's are a secondary notebook, a weekend plaything that we use when we travel and thinness and lightness are the priorities. You would understand if you weren't, you know, actually pushing your seven year old laptop to its max as you labor for a living.

BJ

My laptop is being "pushed" as hard as yours. One could argue it is actually you, who is pushing your laptop as it is having difficulty completing basic user tasks. As evident by this thread.

Hey who knows, maybe in 7years you will be on this very fourm with your current rmb, gloating about how it is destroying the newly released macbook in terms of productivity?? But I highly doubt you would keep such a dated machine, or actually ever use it to be productive.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Lol. No, why would that suck for me? I am fully aware their are people who like having their own ass wiped. Economic/success status does not determine ones ability for ignorance and arrogance.

I have no idea what that means, but I will tell you that those of us who worked our rear ends off for decades to make something out of ourselves have nothing to be ashamed of, least of all choosing a computer that suits our needs for managing our subordinates. When the brick-layer becomes a master architect, he no longer needs a trowel.

My laptop is being "pushed" as hard as yours. One could argue it is actually you, who is pushing your laptop as it is having difficulty completing basic user tasks. As evident by this thread.

No RMB owner is having any difficulty completing basic user tasks. It's actually what the machine excels at. What happens in this forum is that once a month a frustrated owner of an ancient MacBook Air designed in 2006 steps out and buys an RMB without doing the homework and gets all ornery when confronted with the sad fact that he bought the wrong machine. Those who understand the RMB's purpose and buy it for those reasons simply love the thing.

Hey who knows, maybe in 7years you will be on this very fourm with your current rmb, gloating about how it is destroying the newly released macbook in terms of productivity?? But I highly doubt you would keep such a dated machine, or actually ever use it to be productive.

Spoken like a true brick-layer. The typical notebook/tablet I own personally or my family members own is around 2.5 years. Technology moves quickly, and those who can afford to stay ahead of the curve have an advantage in this world. Mommy and daddy executives tend to make baby executives, it's a strength of ours, we make sure they have the newest equipment.

BJ

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Since a portless computer isn't designed for peripherals, you'd be best to say "ah, the sadness of someone who bought the wrong notebook".

BJ

Just bumped into you on another thread and you had the same negative attitude. I'm not sure why you feel the need to post all the time when it doesn't contribute to the conversation, it's just being nasty.

The OP asked for some help, not be berated on their buying decisions (which is exactly what you did on the other thread). And you don't know what led them to that model anyway, it could be for perfectly legitimate reasons.

Last edited:

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Just bumped into you on another thread and you had the same negative attitude. I'm not sure why you feel the need to post all the time when it doesn't contribute to the conversation, it's just being nasty.

The OP asked for some help, not be berated on their buying decisions (which is exactly what you did on the other thread). And you don't know what led them to that model anyway, it could be for perfectly legitimate reasons.

BJ loves a good analogy. It is the only way he communicates.

To BJ buying a rmb is like purposely going out to buy a car which only turns left. It sure as hell does a good job turning left, but you are screwed if you gotta turn right.

But lucky BJ's only ever driving on a roundabout.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

My attitude isn't negative, it's in defense of a notebook that has been under a barrage of criticism since the day it was announced. Every blogger and YouTube hawker has decided to slam the RMB, it's owners like myself that ocassionally set the record straight. My response was not to the OP but rather Post #4, rather snarky, deserved a response.

In this subforum going on for almost a year now, too many are discussing a supposed "problem" with the RMB that is actually a feature, happens over and over again, usually by frustrated Air owners or those who read those aforementioned blogs full of misinformation.

BJ
[doublepost=1456496688][/doublepost]
BJ loves a good analogy. It is the only way he communicates.

To BJ buying a rmb is like purposely going out to buy a car which only turns left. It sure as hell does a good job turning left, but you are screwed if you gotta turn right.

But lucky BJ's only ever driving on a roundabout.

Below is your quote from yesterday:

You came here looking for a fight. Don't get angry now that you've got one.

BJ

printrenori

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011

If you tell me that your portless MacBook is a disappointment because it doesn't handle USB peripherals well I would tell you that you shouldn't have gone to Iceland thinking it's Hawaii.

BJ

That's pretty sh***y of you to put words in my mouth like that. I never even came close to saying my MacBook is a disappointment. I just came here looking for answers to a technical question. Please take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
That's pretty sh***y of you to put words in my mouth like that. I never even came close to saying my MacBook is a disappointment. I just came here looking for answers to a technical question. Please take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else.

Again, I wasn't responding to you in this thread at all until you directed a response at me. You interpreted my response to the other poster as if it was directed towards you when it wasn't.

You got the answer to your question, you can move on now if you find the current direction of the conversation displeasing.

BJ

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
In this subforum going on for almost a year now, too many are discussing a supposed "problem" with the RMB that is actually a feature

If BJ was on the titanic
image.jpeg

BJ'S response: you have to expect to get a little wet when cruising in the ocean. It's a feature!!!

If BJ was on the Zeplin
image.jpeg

BJ'S response: The higher you are the colder it gets. You need a bit of heat. It's a feature!!!

If BJ lived in New Orleans
image.jpeg

BJ'S response: who doesn't want a pool in their backyard??? It's a feature!!!

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Over 1,500 people died in Hurricane Katrina. This is funny to you?

BJ

Ouch. With a pointed retort such as this, I'm glad I flicked past the 9/11 picture.

However I do find it pretty insensitive that you did not defend the other disasters. Perhaps a little more thought next time before you comment wouldn't go astray???

Reactions: printrenori
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.