Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I have connected to a server using Files (on the iPad) and I cannot see any way to make it forget the user id and password.
If I remove the server, once you re-type the server name you will be offered the user and password already entered.

I just cannot see any way to tell Files to forget it.

EDIT: I have even tried to delete the Files app and re-installed it, But it still remembers the userid and password
This is crazy.

Help please.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have connected to a server using Files (on the iPad) and I cannot see any way to make it forget the user id and password.
If I remove the server, once you re-type the server name you will be offered the user and password already entered.

I just cannot see any way to tell Files to forget it.

EDIT: I have even tried to delete the Files app and re-installed it, But it still remembers the userid and password
This is crazy.

Help please.
You should be able to go to Settings app, then “passwords,” then delete it from there.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I poked around to help find a solution, but sorry to say no one seems to know. There have been a couple other thread with the same question here on MR with no resolution. Here's one of them:

I came across another one but can't find it again to paste the link. I also see similar questions posted in the Apple community discussions with no solutions either. I feel like your best bet at this point is to contact Apple Support.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I poked around to help find a solution, but sorry to say no one seems to know. There have been a couple other thread with the same question here on MR with no resolution. Here's one of them:

I came across another one but can't find it again to paste the link. I also see similar questions posted in the Apple community discussions with no solutions either. I feel like your best bet at this point is to contact Apple Support.

Thank you, I certainly will contact support on Monday.
This is quite a severe security risk and it must be addressed.

One final thing I haven’t tried yet is to delete the server password from the keychain using one of my Macs.
Maybe the iPad is saving it there without requesting authorisation, and without the ability to amend the keychain from the iPad.

Reactions: 0128672

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Success.

As I suspected the password were held in the Keychain for that user, so after deleting them from a Mac they are no longer offered on the iPad when trying to connect to that server.
Note that the password were NOT visible using the iOS "Passwords & Accounts" function.
The only way to delete them was to edit the Keychain from a Mac.

At no point was I ever asked if I wanted the server password stored in the Keychain.

Last edited:

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Success.

As I suspected the password were held in the Keychain for that user so, after deleting them from a Mac they are no longer offered on the iPad when trying to connect to that server.
Note that the password were NOT visible using the iOS "Passwords & Accounts" function.

At no point was I ever asked if I wanted the server password stored in the Keychain.
Where on the Mac do you do this? I've had the same issue and cannot find where that password is stored. It doesn't show up under passwords in Safari Preferences...

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Where on the Mac do you do this? I've had the same issue and cannot find where that password is stored. It doesn't show up under passwords in Safari Preferences...

Keychain Access
Then search for (part of) the server name and delete the passwords.

If you have never used Keychain Access, use some caution as some very important data is contained in there.

Reactions: VineRider

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Keychain Access
Then search for (part of) the server name and delete the passwords.

If you have never used Keychain Access, use some caution as some very important data is contained in there.
Got it...thanks

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

Ditto with wifi passwords and network names on iOS. Can see wifi passwords in Keychain on Mac and can get a list of wifi one connected to in the past via the Network > Wifi > Advanced screen. Can use both to clean-up one's iOS (and Mac) wifi clutter (eg. wifi you don't want to connect to ever again).

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.