Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I have an ethernet connection it’s connected DHCP, and also Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi every once in a while goes haywire, but the ethernet should be stable. Whenever I go to network preferences and connect to ethernet 2, everything looks fine but it still wants to prefer Wi-Fi and it just prefers the Wi-Fi connection. I also do use Wi-Fi to network printers, and with other workers who come over they want to use the Wi-Fi. But I’d rather on my Mac just have it use the ethernet, and it won’t let me. Or I simply don’t know how to do it. Any tips hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. When I turn Wi-Fi off lose Internet. I don’t get it. Or eventually reroutes but so slow.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
You need to change the order of the network services. I’m not sure which version of macOS you’re on, but the instructions for Sonoma are at the link below.

Last edited:

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
If everything seems slow with Wifi off...that is likely something else is causing problems. Ethernet should not be slower or less reliable than wifi. Could be one of several different parts of the wired network: Cables, termination, switch, router, etc.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
You need to change the order of the network services. I’m not sure which version of macOS you’re on, but the instructions for Sonoma are at the link below.

Oh wow, I didn’t know this trick! Thanks a bunch! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.