Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddog91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Pretty annoying how you get a stamp only if you don't text for an hour a so. I want a time stamp every text. Before I flip out and bitch about it, why doesn't it have it or how do i get it.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It annoys me as well. It's important to me if I missed a text five minutes ago or thirty minutes ago. Every other phone I have ever had has done this.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Lifesaver. Thank you.. I have need for this.:)

Unfortunately it's not available for purchase in Cydia for iOS 5. :(

Apple is slacking. Every minute matters when in a txting battle. Two minutes go by, phone is back in her purse.....

If you're jailbroken, try Mark that Message. It's a jailbreak app that does just this.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
This problem makes me flip out. Every second does count, and I have times where this "feature" is needed.

I say "feature" because... EVERY OTHER PHONE has this. It's basic. It's necessary at times.

Ugh.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
It confused me when I first got an iPhone. My previous phone displayed times for each and every text. And that wasn't touchscreen; it was nearly an inch thick and was overall prehistoric. :p

rkeato1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Adding to the pile here - I despise that it's not a standard thing on the iPhone. I don't understand why it's not there...

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Unfortunately, Apple decided not to add this basic feature, because of a stylistic preference. Basically, they wanted conversation bubbles that were purely just talk.

Meanwhile, Windows Phone has the same conversation style messaging system, but it timestamps every text.

ElysiumY2K

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
London
Got to agree with maddog91 here.

It's necessary for me because my friends/gf/etc bitches to me when i don't text back fast enough and i can't actually prove it to them what time i texted back lol, so i end up losing the argument

I think Apple did this because they want to keep it like a messenger chat. Like constantly flowing.

Rant
And it's annoying when you're texting someone for like an hour or so and then they send back "be there in 5mins" (5 minutes my ass). No time stamp on when they sent the text and you're sitting there waiting like a muppet for another 30 minutes...

Vantwistable

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Time stamps go in increments of 15 minutes on all of my texts. I think that's standard.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Got to agree with maddog91 here.

It's necessary for me because my friends/gf/etc bitches to me when i don't text back fast enough and i can't actually prove it to them what time i texted back lol, so i end up losing the argument

I think Apple did this because they want to keep it like a messenger chat. Like constantly flowing.

Rant
And it's annoying when you're texting someone for like an hour or so and then they send back "be there in 5mins" (5 minutes my ass). No time stamp on when they sent the text and you're sitting there waiting like a muppet for another 30 minutes...

Exactly! It's the times like that when we definitely need timestamps. It's insanely irritating not to have them.

okkine

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
This is one if the things that frick'n irritates me about Apple. They consistently choose style over functionality.

I believe that if you go back to the main list of conversations, it will add a timestamp to the next incoming message, but you shouldn't have to do that after every single text.

TheShadowXX

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
This is one if the things that frick'n irritates me about Apple. They consistently choose style over functionality.

I believe that if you go back to the main list of conversations, it will add a timestamp to the next incoming message, but you shouldn't have to do that after every single text.

if you jailbreak you can have this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.