Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I am manually migrating from Sierra to Monterey and I don't understand how to copy my podcasts over. In iTunes, I have large library of downloaded episodes that are not available in the respective feeds anymore. (Some shows only let you listen to the last 20 episodes or so.)

How can I import them?

Also, how do I export episodes from the Podcasts app? (I sometimes like to edit out portions from episodes for reference, etc.)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
There is no import. What you have will be converted to new Podcasts app format.

Been ages, so don't remember the specifics what can/will happen re: if previous downloads will be retained (think it will), but...

I would copy the podcasts folder under Music to an external drive. You now will be able to import the podcasts into some third party player (I'm using Downcast; even something like Files or Dropbox can play as well) and not lose them.

Big problem is exports. New Podcasts app does not have a copy, export, show enclosing folder, etc. And the files have a unique ID name.

Code:
% cd ~/Library/Group\ Containers/*.podcasts/Library/Cache
% ls *.mp3
00073C00-8181-4E75-98C8-3204D667B3F8.mp3    808A0EC4-37A7-4B25-8964-4013CD6ED199.mp3
001DA797-9C0F-447B-ADAC-52C9A06A8ECB.mp3    808B9339-8586-46CF-BBB0-2D43329E5DA3.mp3

Need to roll your own solution to export episodes from Podcasts.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
There is no import. What you have will be converted to new Podcasts app format.

Been ages, so don't remember the specifics what can/will happen re: if previous downloads will be retained (think it will), but...

I would copy the podcasts folder under Music to an external drive. You now will be able to import the podcasts into some third party player (I'm using Downcast; even something like Files or Dropbox can play as well) and not lose them.

Thanks, I see. My podcasts folder - my whole iTunes library actually - in on an external drive anyway in oder to save space (I have about 1TB of music and podcasts).

So I guess I will have to decide if I even want to try the new podcast app or switch to a third party solution like Downcast...

Do you know if I can export my played/unplayed status from iTunes into Downcast?

Big problem is exports. New Podcasts app does not have a copy, export, show enclosing folder, etc. And the files have a unique ID name.

Code:
% cd ~/Library/Group\ Containers/*.podcasts/Library/Cache
% ls *.mp3
00073C00-8181-4E75-98C8-3204D667B3F8.mp3    808A0EC4-37A7-4B25-8964-4013CD6ED199.mp3
001DA797-9C0F-447B-ADAC-52C9A06A8ECB.mp3    808B9339-8586-46CF-BBB0-2D43329E5DA3.mp3

Need to roll your own solution to export episodes from Podcasts.

Awkward... but possible to deal with I guess.

Does the Podcast app even keep downloaded episodes around after they disappear from their feed? A number of podcasts I am subscribed to only keep the most recent episodes in the feed.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Downcasts has their own played/unplayed, just like Podcasts, so cannot export/import between the two.

From what I've seen, Podcasts does not delete previously downloaded podcasts, but have seen glitches where those files have disappeared. And why I copy downloaded podcasts to an external drive out of harms way.

And: since your files are already on external, those podcasts will be moved to your internal drive (I assume, as I have never converted over to new Podcasts app with an external library), hence, might run out of drive space. So, maybe still need to make a copy of the podcasts you already have, delete them out of iTunes, convert and start with a fresh configuration for Podcasts. Yes, will lose played information, but already losing that with the podcasts that limit number of episodes (they are no longer in the podcasts database).

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Downcasts has their own played/unplayed, just like Podcasts, so cannot export/import between the two.

From what I've seen, Podcasts does not delete previously downloaded podcasts, but have seen glitches where those files have disappeared. And why I copy downloaded podcasts to an external drive out of harms way.

And: since your files are already on external, those podcasts will be moved to your internal drive (I assume, as I have never converted over to new Podcasts app with an external library), hence, might run out of drive space. So, maybe still need to make a copy of the podcasts you already have, delete them out of iTunes, convert and start with a fresh configuration for Podcasts. Yes, will lose played information, but already losing that with the podcasts that limit number of episodes (they are no longer in the podcasts database).

Thanks! I am starting to get the feeling that this is not really something I can totally prepare for and I will just need to try out some solutions once I have my new Mac and see what works best for me. But this has helped me a lot to get a sense of what's possible!

PeterLD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Germany
I recently migrated using Apple's Migration Assistant from a very old iMac/Mojave to a new MacBook Pro/Monterey, so iTunes has been fragmented into Podcasts and Music. The podcasts migration was a total disaster. Yes, the subscriptions copied over, mostly duplicated. No, many of the downloaded but not yet listened to episodes did not. The user interface has lost the overviews and been reduced to a teenage set of tiles. You go mad clicking and moseying around to see it all. Has Apple been infected by M$'s regression back to babyhood in UI design? I have a 27" screen, please use it. I do NOT want a UI that fits into a minute corner the size of, oh - something like an iWotsit? Has Apple heard of adaptive design? Or will I have tiles the size of dinner plates on my nice big monitor? There was one tiny compensation: they fixed the bug they could never be bothered with in iTunes: voice over missing for new episodes. Yep, I have a screen-less iPod Shuffle - the one that clips to your clothes.

Summary: if you listen to lots of podcasts and want to have an overview of them you will hate the new Apple Podcasts software.

Reactions: danqi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.