Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
How can I improve my drawings with weak visualize of things? I seem to have weak visualizing of things in my brain. How can I improve my drawings when I have problems with visualize things?

When I look at things and close my eye it is fuzzy. I can only remember about 4 lines.

So I can look at simple stuff like square, triangle, circle, heart or rectangle and look at it and close my eye and draw it.

But things like star, nonagon, octagon, and pentagon so on I have trouble remembering.

Any thing more than 4 lines my brain has trouble remembering. How can I improve my short term memory with better recall of detail.

Reactions: stella0403

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i dont remember many objects were i need to look them up for visuals, even before the internet.
every real cartoonist should draw life and objects and perceive and draw these as their own.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I would start with a good medical checkup. You might have a chemical imbalance that is causing memory issues. One particular things to look at is calcium level in the blood.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe it would help you to take an art course. That can give you some visualization techniques that you can use for artwork, and that can extend to any drawing that you do...
A community college, or a local activity center may have some information about that kind of thing. (Hopefully, you live in an area that is becoming more open for small gatherings, but that's another, too long story. :rolleyes: )

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I would start with a good medical checkup. You might have a chemical imbalance that is causing memory issues. One particular things to look at is calcium level in the blood.
I would also suggest possibly a psychological exam. You may have an undiagnosed neurological/learning issue like dyslexia*. (I am by no means a doctor, so don't take that as an official diagnosis).

If you do have an issue, I'm sure someone with a medical/educational background can point to an appropriate learning style.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
So do others here remember more than 4 lines when you look at some thing than trying to draw it?

I thought that when you look at some thing and close your eyes that you should remember more than 4 lines.

If so than some how the recall of detail is not coming in.

Other thing you do is well put more than 4 things on your kitchen table and look at it and close your eyes. Do you remember more than 4 things.

If you put 8,12 or 16 things on your kitchen table and look at it and close you eye do you remember all of it or only 4? No cheating by opening and closing your eyes many times over and over to it goes in your long term memory.

May be others have bigger short term memory than me? And my short term memory is weak.

When you go to mall do you remember more than 4 things in that one store?No cheating. Going there more than 10 times or more to remember all that stuff in that one store.

I'm thinking I have short term memory problem.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So do others here remember more than 4 lines when you look at some thing than trying to draw it?

I thought that when you look at some thing and close your eyes that you should remember more than 4 lines.
Certainly, if you think you might have a medical problem you should consult a doctor. However, making a representative drawing is not in any way a test of memory. It is a learned skill that's a matter of doing a lot of looking. Most people, when they first start to draw, create a drawing based on how they think the subject looks rather than really looking at the subject and trying to understand how all the shapes relate and really look when translated into a 2 dimensional drawing.
It's not at all a matter of, say, trying to make 4 lines without looking back at the subject. Sometimes it takes a long time just to get 1 line right.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I’m no artist so I can’t draw scenes but I can describe what’s there in fairly good detail. My memory has gotten weaker with age, just turned 70 but I participate in activities that require good short term memory like playing bridge and other games. There can be medical and psychological issues that can have significant effect. That’s why the various suggestions of getting tested to see if you have an underlying condition.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
OP (original poster)
relax,
while i am drawing comics, i think of further gag lines and other themes, i need to write them down or i forget the jokes within seconds.
seems to me that our brains function differently were i can create vivid stories but not process what a GPU is, and cant explain what that does no matter how i tries to "educatings myself" i can use them tho!

ginger helps the brain waves more than anything else, Xword puzzles are not as great as the past because Will Shorts wants assorted non-thinking answers in his puzzles now.

just remember to respond to your thread occasionally and things will be alright!

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I just do not know how much more detail others here can look at picture they have never seen before and explain in much detail with out looking at the picture second time what they remember.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I just do not know how much more detail others here can look at picture they have never seen before and explain in much detail with out looking at the picture second time what they remember.
they way humans are drawing nowadays, you don't need any memory, just a knack to paste amami on a digital device.

i think you are over-thinking the drawing process
if you can watch "My Left Foot" there might be some answers solved about artists and drawing
including the blind artists who have success in their field last centurty

Reactions: emily587

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Some things I just find easy to remember. As example I’m in the middle of redoing a shower in my house. I’m adding a bench to the shower. This morning I drew a simple line sketch of the structure of the bench with measurements. Haven’t looked to it since this morning but I can redraw it easily including the specific measurements. Numbers are very easy for me to remember.

nc_sketchy

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
How can I improve my drawings with weak visualize of things? I seem to have weak visualizing of things in my brain. How can I improve my drawings when I have problems with visualize things?

When I look at things and close my eye it is fuzzy. I can only remember about 4 lines.

So I can look at simple stuff like square, triangle, circle, heart or rectangle and look at it and close my eye and draw it.

But things like star, nonagon, octagon, and pentagon so on I have trouble remembering.

Any thing more than 4 lines my brain has trouble remembering. How can I improve my short term memory with better recall of detail.
Ignoring any medical stuff that you may have going on, nearly all professional artists use reference images, up and available while they are drawing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.