Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oOLokiOo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Belarus
Hi everyone!

I have old Macbook Pro 2009 and it not possible to boot from USB device on it. Also, I have no DVD with Mac OS under my hand...
So... I made three partition in Disk Utility:
- First, my Main Mac OS - "Snow Leopard"
- Second, files from bootable ISO with downloaded DVD - "Lion"
- Third, empty partition for "Lion"

I tryed to go -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Seleсt the system you want to use to start up your computer:
But there is no partition with Lion files there...
Only Main partition and Network Startup is in the list...

What elese I can do in my situation, for replacing bootable USB or DVD by partition on HDD?
Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

naerct

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2019
Southern NH
Hi everyone!

I have old Macbook Pro 2009 and it not possible to boot from USB device on it. Also, I have no DVD with Mac OS under my hand...
So... I made three partition in Disk Utility:
- First, my Main Mac OS - "Snow Leopard"
- Second, files from bootable ISO with downloaded DVD - "Lion"
- Third, empty partition for "Lion"

I tryed to go -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Selet the system you want to use to start up your computer:
But there is no partition with Lion files there...
Only Main partition and Network Startup is in list...

What elese I can do in my situation, for replacing bootable USB or DVD by partition on HDD?
Thanks for any advice!
You have to install a copy of Lion to your partitioned HDD. Sys Prefs won't show you a bootable OS disk until there is a working copy of the installation. So reboot from "SL" and download the essential Lion installer. You may have to buy the DVD as those OSs were still on disk. I believe you can install ElCap as the last supported OS for your MBP. Unless you have a bunch of old external devices that require the non-Intel drivers, I recommend ElCap since it is 100% Intel (I think), and you can get a free download of its installer without buying a disc. Then, all you need to do is run the installer and be sure to indicate the proper installation partition. That should be all you need. If you can't find a downloadable version, I may have a copy of my original OS 10.6.8 which I could send you for the postage. This should not be a difficult task. As for your external USB, make sure you are plugged directly into a MBP USB2 port, and that your cable is working. Good Luck

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.