Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
I learned touch typing not too long ago and now its a PITA to write "?!" as I have to switch hands I hold the shift key with.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, if it was possible, and I don't think it is, I'm sure you would find things that you want to type that would require you to turn caps lock off momentarily. And if you had those coming close together, you'd be using shift for the intervening characters until you got past the second instance of needing caps lock off. But, I don't think there's a way to test my theory.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I learned touch typing
What do you mean by that?

Besides that: old mechanical type writers had Shift Lock« which is probably what you want; Caps Lock is different in that causes all letters of bicameral scripts to be generated in capital letters.

You can use e.g. Karabiner-Elements to customize your keyboard and then e.g. switch all numbers to their symbols for caps by redefining as shown here. You can achieve that via a variety of other tools, e.g. Ukulele, KeyRemap4MacBook, DoubleCommand, et cetera.

Reactions: gilby101

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Touch typing is a method based on muscle memory instead of sight. This method allows you to achieve much higher speed of data entry, especially if you need to transcribe text from other visual material. Typing with the touch typing method significantly improves your computer productivity as it increases data entry speed.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Touch typing is a method based on muscle memory instead of sight. This method allows you to achieve much higher speed of data entry, especially if you need to transcribe text from other visual material. Typing with the touch typing method significantly improves your computer productivity as it increases data entry speed.
That's the definition of Touch Typing.

What @Slartibart asked is, "what do you [the OP] MEAN" when they say they "learned touch typing." Because based on the definition of touch typing, that's a non-sequitur to the issue.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I second this:
Depending on which application you're using you might be able to use a "text replacement" that's easier to type.

Examples:

Replace: exclamationpoint
With: !

Replace: questionmark
With: ?

Or shortened versions

Replace: expoint
With: !

Replace: qmark
With: ?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Touch typing includes the use of the shift keyS - there are two of them! You have to “switch hands” (i.e. use the right or left Shift key) to write A&P too. Writing “?!” (with the quote marks) means using both shift keys - which touch typists do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There’s no doubt that QWERTY/AZERTY typing has its cumbersome moments. Some people switch to an alternate keyboard like Dvorak for ergonomic reasons. I have no idea if it’d be better for your situation or not - I don’t personally use Dvorak. But you might look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.