Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheese9man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2021
Good day everyone! I'm gonna sell my airpods 1 which I bought in early 2019 but I already lost the box. Is there a way to prove that my airpods are original just from the unit itself? I know people are careful when buying airpods since there are knockoffs that truly look like the originals.

The main reason I'm selling my OG airpods because I wanna upgrade to the pros. Do you recommend buying them or should I wait for WWDC this June? Thank you. Cheers!

Heruhur

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Oldebroek
Maybe this article can help you.
Airpods Fake vs Real

As for waiting for WWDC to upgrade . . . . there is ALWAYS the next best thing . . . .
And as far as I've seen and heard an update of the APP is not imminent at the moment (only wild rumors), while there are indications that the AP3's are coming.
All of this is however conjecture.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Me, I'd wait until the AP3's come out. They're bound to have U1 "Find My" support baked in (as Apple made access to the Find My network available to 3rd parties and at least one other headphone maker has already done so, it's almost a certainty that all new AirPods will).

I also can't help but wonder what Apple's plans are to extend lossless audio to their headphone lineup could be. Wifi? Possibly this is another year or two out - don't believe there's any rumours around that yet. Me, I'd wait for WWDC just for this reason - to make sure that they don't have a solution for the AP3's.

Oh, and, per your selling question. You have a couple things:

1). I'm pretty sure that Apple won't allow knock-offs to actually call themselves AirPods for Model Name in the Bluetooth settings (it will also say your Model Number - original AirPods are A1523).
106C754C-ED15-4B27-831D-3286F7D8D93A_1_105_c.jpeg

2). You have the text below the hinge on the charging case. I think if any of the knock-offs replicated this, they'd have Apple chasing them down pretty quickly. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.