Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Nanjing, China
I have the last generation of iPod classic 160G, and it stores my entire music library. I am using it as a Digital Source device in my home Hi-Fi system.

Ipod's scroll-wheel control is quite convenient and fast when browsing music, but I have to hold it in my hand if I want to manipulate it. I was wondering if I can browse music library and control it remotely on an iPhone, not by an old school remote controller.

Till now, all I can find is Marantz/Denon network music player (NA6005, 7004, 8005, 730AE). They all have some iOS app who can read music list from iPod. However, the app is old-school too, not quite stable, not functional enough, and seems to be no longer updated in the future because the newer products have all cancelled the the front USB port's MFi feature.

So here is the question. As a hobbyist,not a commercial company, is it possible for me to buy some MFi development kit and develop an iOS app to simply read, browse, play&pause the music in my iPod? I have seen some MFi supported board from XMOS and NXP, but they seems not to be sold to end customers.

Or any other suggestions? Thank you so much.

Appleinapot

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2021
Oooh, that's tricky, maybe an adaptor that has a Bluetooth chip in it so then it can connect with your phone. Hoped this helped

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.