Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
So I have run into a problem. I have a ton of Dos box games and GOG classics all on my Mac. With the new Catalina update they no longer work. Typical Apple. So rather then waiting for updates or such for dos box can I run them on an external drive with Mojave or have a separate partition on my drive for this? What is the best and easiest way to get around all this.

Thanks

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
Depends on your available disk space, really. I had Mavericks running beatifully on a USB3 dive attached to my Macbook Pro (Catalina). A sort of dual-boot solution. I have now CCC'd it onto a partition on board because plugging the disk in became a pain every time I needed it (a lot). You could try VirtualBox or another VM but I've not had any luck with those. For instance iLife iDVD would not run in a VM. Just my experience.
I'd reccomemd the dual boot method if you can stand shutting down your main OS to reboot into the other, just because its easy to do and when it's running you have access to all the system resources, not sharing with the host operating system and of course, the issues I mentioned above with some applications.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "answer" is easy:
1. Get an EXTERNAL USB3 SSD
2. Put a copy of Mojave onto it. Set up an account.
3. Put any 32-bit apps/games you need to use on it.
4. When you want to run your 32-bit software, reboot to the Mojave SSD and run things that way.

Reactions: chabig

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
How do you CCC it on board my current Drive without reformatting the whole damn thing?

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I have Mojave running in Parallels 15 in case I need to use Redsn0w. The graphics acceleration is terrible though. Not sure how it would work for your needs.

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
How do you CCC it on board my current Drive without reformatting the whole damn thing?
CCC wont help unless you have a working parition of whatever you want (Mavericks in my case).
I'd partition, create another OS partition, shutdown, boot up holding ALT and select choose which one youd like to boot into. PMd you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.