Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPJP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
California
Hi!
I have a macbook pro and run OS X EL Capitan 10.11.5
I have Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac installed, v14.5.6

I have been unable to prevent the Microsoft programs (all 3) from launching automatically when I boot my Mac. I've been into user accounts in preferences, and assured they are not listed as login items.
I've force quit the programs before shutting down.
I've reviewed an old thread from several years ago and gone to 'Go' in Finder and searched /Library/LaunchAgents, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, ~/Library/StartupFolder, etc. and the programs were not listed in those locations.

They still start up automatically. Any ideas?

Thanks and have great day!

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
I'll mention this only because I didn't see it in your post. Are the apps in your task bar? If so check the "open at login" in Options of the right click menu for the icons. Sorry if I've told you the first, obvious thing you tried but it never hurts to cover the bases.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
have you checked system preferences for login items?
System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items:
any apps listed there will open on startup/login.
just highlight what you don't want and remove with the minus button below.

Attachments

• login.jpg
    login.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,334

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
?
com.apple.loginitems.plist is in none of the locations referenced.

I bolded the relevant part below:

...I have been unable to prevent the Microsoft programs (all 3) from launching automatically when I boot my Mac. I've been into user accounts in preferences, and assured they are not listed as login items.
I've force quit the programs before shutting down.
I've reviewed an old thread from several years ago and gone to 'Go' in Finder and searched /Library/LaunchAgents, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, ~/Library/StartupFolder, etc. and the programs were not listed in those locations.

They still start up automatically. Any ideas?

Thanks and have great day!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Why do you do a force quit to get out of them? Have you tried actually quit from within the program? Also when you shut down is the open windows when start checked?

Reactions: cdcastillo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.