Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

financeguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
I recently bought a MBA from a 100% positive eBay power seller, who advertised it as "new". It came in a sealed box and looed brand new. I went through the startup process and registered the product successfully using the serial number.

However, when I checked the warranty, it says that it expires on 1/28/10 (only 6 months left). Does this mean that my MBA is used? Is there anyway to know for sure?

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I recently bought a MBA from a 100% positive eBay power seller, who advertised it as "new". It came in a sealed box and looed brand new. I went through the startup process and registered the product successfully using the serial number.

However, when I checked the warranty, it says that it expires on 1/28/10 (only 6 months left). Does this mean that my MBA is used? Is there anyway to know for sure?

Perhaps it was purchased new 6 months ago but was never opened. That would still qualify as new on ebay.

To me "new" means that when I get it the box is still sealed and the item was never opened or used. That doesn't mean that it still carries a warranty and that is a good question to ask a seller if they do not specify it. That's why when I sell "new" items that I never used, I will clearly specify what kind of warranty it has on it.

financeguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Perhaps it was purchased new 6 months ago but was never opened.

I'm fine with that scenario, but does that happen often? I'm just worried it was refurbished and sealed again. I researched some of the other threads and downloaded the coconut battery utility. It says it is 93% of full capacity and has had only 2 load cycles. Is that good or bad?

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I'm fine with that scenario, but does that happen often? I'm just worried it was refurbished and sealed again. I researched some of the other threads and downloaded the coconut battery utility. It says it is 93% of full capacity and has had only 2 load cycles. Is that good or bad?

Was it a white box or brown? If it was refurbished by Apple they would use a brown box. White boxes are for new systems only.

Even if it was refurbished the warranty deal is the same. When Apple refurbishes a system it gets a new serial # and the warranty is reset for the new buyer.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
This happened to me when I bought a new Rev A from macmall said i had a few months warranty, call apple they will ask for your receipt and the will reset the dates for you.

But buying on Ebay they might not.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Was it a white box or brown? If it was refurbished by Apple they would use a brown box. White boxes are for new systems only.

Even if it was refurbished the warranty deal is the same. When Apple refurbishes a system it gets a new serial # and the warranty is reset for the new buyer.
Apple uses plain white boxes for refurbs..

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
You can ask Apple to update the date and show proof of purchase date.

gooddeal

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
PA
You can ask Apple to update the date and show proof of purchase date.

If you can do this, people don't need to buy applecare anymore. We all can just create a listing on ebay and ask apple to update the warranty.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I would definitely contact Apple, but because it wasn't an authorized reseller, I suspect that they'll tell you that you are out of luck, but it's worth a shot. You can also get an extended warranty through SquareTrade and they will cover ebay purchases, just put in your item number and it will quote everything for you. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.