Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mortmain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
I have a huge problem, i made a huge mistake... I've restored my iPhone without backup. I have all my iMessage/SMS conversations on my Mac (macOS Sierra). I would like to transfer them to my iPhone. How can I do that? It would be important to have all messages on my phone. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Cormac

blindside217

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
There is not a way to transfer them directly. The only way to get messages to an iPhone now is by restoring the iPhone from a backup that contains the messages. That being said, you may be able to accomplish what you want with the new OS releases that are in Beta now. They introduce a feature called iMessage syncing. When your Mac is on macOS High Sierra, you can have it sync the messages that it has to iCloud and then when your iPhone is on iOS 11, you can enable the iMessage sync and it will load them from your iCloud. You can try this now if you are comfortable with Beta software or wait until next month when they are officially released.

Mortmain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
There is not a way to transfer them directly. The only way to get messages to an iPhone now is by restoring the iPhone from a backup that contains the messages. That being said, you may be able to accomplish what you want with the new OS releases that are in Beta now. They introduce a feature called iMessage syncing. When your Mac is on macOS High Sierra, you can have it sync the messages that it has to iCloud and then when your iPhone is on iOS 11, you can enable the iMessage sync and it will load them from your iCloud. You can try this now if you are comfortable with Beta software or wait until next month when they are officially released.

Sooo... i have to wait then. Thank you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's been mentioned that it should be coming in iOS 11. So far it's not there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.