Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
Hi
I run Mojave on my mac
I want to rip some of my cds in aac and the best codec is the itunes/quicktime aac encoder

to update the encoder should I upgrade my operation system ,I mean update Mojave or is there a way to have the most apple acc updated encoder ?
thanks

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
On osx the underlying encoder is part of audiotoobox libraries I believe. Maybe theoretically possible to do take this from a newer OS and do some shimming/polyfilling to run it on an older version, but there's really no point in doing so, I doubt the underlying encoder has changed much between versions. If you are really concerned, encode a single file with the same parameters on two different versions and do a waveform comparison, then if there is, abx test to see if you can tell a difference. Basically since even ancient apple aac encoders were perceptually transparent, even if there is a difference between new and older versions it's not worth the effort to try to backport it. Or for peace of mind, just run the newer OS in a VM and do your conversion on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.