Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
My iPad Air (A1474) iOS version is 10.2. I know the latest iOS is 11.x but I don't want it because some old games will not run and it is probably too heavy for my old iPad. But there is one app that I want that requires 10.3.

Is it possible to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. If so, how?

Regards,
Dan

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
I found this website where I can download an old version of iOS and can install it via iTunes if I hold down the space (or option) key while updating:

http://www.getios.com/index.php?page=download&id=1903

You have to two choices:
1. stay on your current OS if you wish to use your old apps where the app developers no longer support their app to work with the latest OS
2. Upgrade to iOS 11.x

You have found a website where you can download an older OS but Apple no longer digitally signs older OS's. iTunes wont let you install it.

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
You have to two choices:
1. stay on your current OS if you wish to use your old apps where the app developers no longer support their app to work with the latest OS
2. Upgrade to iOS 11.x

You have found a website where you can download an older OS but Apple no longer digitally signs older OS's. iTunes wont let you install it.

OK. You guys know more than I do. So if I have to install the latest iOS on my iPad Air, is it heavy? Will it slow down my iPad?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
OK. You guys know more than I do. So if I have to install the latest iOS on my iPad Air, is it heavy? Will it slow down my iPad?
Wait until iOS 12 release and after several weeks, people will give a general idea how iOS 12 performance is on older devices. Your iPad Air definitely can support iOS 12.

Wait a sec, uh, you have app that is too old? Cannot run on iOS 11?

Reactions: gobikerider

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Wait until iOS 12 release and after several weeks, people will give a general idea how iOS 12 performance is on older devices. Your iPad Air definitely can support iOS 12.

Wait a sec, uh, you have app that is too old? Cannot run on iOS 11?

It is a new app with minimum 10.3.

The thing is I don't want iOS12 with all the bloatware in the newest iOS version that supports all the new bells and whistles in the newer iPads. The best version of iOS11 will be fine. And just being able to run it is not enough. I want it to run as smooth and fast as it runs 10.3. Is that possible with iOS11 or will it load my iPad down?

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
It is a new app with minimum 10.3.

The thing is I don't want iOS12 with all the bloatware in the newest iOS version that supports all the new bells and whistles in the newer iPads. The best version of iOS11 will be fine. And just being able to run it is not enough. I want it to run as smooth and fast as it runs 10.3. Is that possible with iOS11 or will it load my iPad down?

iOS 12 has very few new features compared to previous years. iOS 12 primarily focuses on performance/ optimisation and stability improvements, things look promising and is rumoured to be the best OS yet. As per the keynote Apple showed that older devices had a huge speed boost running iOS 12.

If you want to go to iOS 11, you can, its pretty stable at the moment and Apple has addressed many bugs. But apparently not as good as iOS 12 is expected to be.

If I was in your shoes, I would wait a little longer if you are still unsure. Wait and see until you hear how iOS 12 performs. Then hopefully you can decide.

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Cool. I didn't know that about iOS12. I haven't been following Apple lately. I guess I will wait for 12. Thanks

Reactions: gobikerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.