Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hi,

So I have an address in the U.S. but I'm not in the U.S. at the time being and for a long time. I have been managing to use the US iTunes Store with prepaid cards to buy movies and shows (although that makes a big hole in my pocket). Netflix decided to do everyone a good favor around the world and managed to bring us shows and movies, which I'm very grateful for; however, not everything is listed there (obviously). While most people are torn between what to subscribe to, I'm trying to find something that LETS ME subscribe. I can get free single episodes as samples from seasons but overall about 70 to 80% of what is listed there cannot be viewed due to regional restrictions.

The other option of course is to use those streaming websites but I'm not very fond of. I would rather pay for what I wanna watch and frankly the ads alone make it too much of a hassle.

When Apple TV + came out, I figured I could use that. But I'm having the same issues (despite having a whole year free subscription). So now I just decided to purchase or rent stuff from iTunes and then watch them on Apple TV.

Is there any other way I could watch stuff (as much legally as I possibly can)?

I didn't like using VPN or DNS Proxy. It slows down the connection and it's a bother to keep changing ip addresses.

Thanks.

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
1. I don´t believe there is regional restrictions on Apple+ original shows even if your apple store is US and you are outside us.

2 any other apps /channels will require a DNS /VPN there is no way around it and that still may give you trouble if the apps use gps or some other method to verify location.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Apple TV+ works without restrictions as far as I know.

I live in the UK but my daughter lives in the US and I just use a smart DNS proxy to view all US content on the individual apps (ABC, HBO, Bravo, etc) natively signed in to her provider. Works a treat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.