Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicalRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Midwest
I have a iPhone 8+ and When I have Do Not Disturb on telemarketers can still get through, how? is there another way other than turning my phone off so that nobody trying to sell me something keeps waking me up.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Did the same number call you a second time within three minutes? I had this happen to me a month ago. I didn't realize that I had not toggled "repeat calls" off from the DND settings menu and a call came through even though I had DND. So if you see that you have "repeat calls" toggled on, just turn it off and that should fix it.

LogicalRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Midwest
I got 2 calls from the same number but they were 22 minutes apart. The first one rang and I declined it, 22 minutes later it shows up as a missed call but didn't ring.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I got 2 calls from the same number but they were 22 minutes apart. The first one rang and I declined it, 22 minutes later it shows up as a missed call but didn't ring.
Op, why dont you use the mute switch when your sleeping. Stops any noise coming out of your iphone. I use it all the time when sleeping during the day after night shifts at work.

LogicalRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Midwest
Good Idea I didn't thing about that. although I'd rather have the "Do Not Disturb" do as it says........lol

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
DND is not fool proof. Scammers also know that many people use it, and they also know that if they call you multiple times they can usually make your phone ring. Not much you can do about that other than modify your settings in DND and hope that they work. Other than that, the mute switch is a guaranteed killer of noise.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
I hate telemarketing calls as well. This may not work in your situation, but it works for me. I've set my phone to have all calls go directly to voice mail that are not in my address book. My voice mail message instructs the caller to leave a message. On occasion, a brazen telemarketer will actually leave a message, but 99% of the time, the call just goes to my call history.

Reactions: HLFORD

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You need to use a carrier with call protection, where the caller must press a random digit before your line rings. It's a free service for many carriers. The robo-callers used by telemarketers fail that test and your phone won't ring.

Reactions: snipr125

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Just block them! Then you'll never hear another word from them again!
That works if they call from the same number, but too many spammers spoof their numbers these days. Calls come from different spoofed numbers every time, it seems.

Reactions: tedley

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
That works if they call from the same number, but too many spammers spoof their numbers these days. Calls come from different spoofed numbers every time, it seems.
Yes here in the UK this is turning into a real nuisance. These telemarketers call from different cities in the UK, I block them, but they have obviously got savvy to this and then call from different numbers, with the number coming from a different city etc. You block that number, they then use another number and it becomes a merry go round lol.

I have noticed though, that sometimes numbers that i have blocked sometimes ring on my iphone, so even blocking numbers is not 100% effective.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
how you guys feel about the paid services like robokiller and roboshield and so forth? Worth it or just a scam?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
To OP: make sure all the settings are correct. DnD On, "Allow Calls From" something other than "Everyone", Silence to "Always", Repeated Calls off. As @Apple_Robert said, enable Silence Unknowns.

As to paid call blockers, I'm on ATT and Hiya is part of the plan. Works well for me, combined with the "Silence Unknowns".

Love Silence Unknowns.

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.