Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
I want to migrate my iPad Pro 3 to another iPad Pro 4, but the newer one doesn't have enough space for all the pictures, so I'm thinking I can back them up to a hard drive somehow and then just selectively put on the new one what will fit... Or is this a dumb idea?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
You can do this directly from Apple’s Photos. If possible format the SSD or the USB-stick using APFS. Create a folder named DCIM in the root level on it (this will facilitate the input on the iPP4). Connect the USB-SSD or stick. Open Apple’s Photos, select the images, tap the Share-icon, choose Save to Files and then select the connected SSD/USB-C stick via the dialogue.

For the amount of time it takes, if possible, do not use a spinning HD.
Apple’s Files is occasionally prone to “silly” behaviour or errors: to preemptively avoid some of that, make sure the SSD/stick is formated APFS and copy in batches. Check whether the images are damaged after copying from the iPP3 to the SSD/stick before putting them on the iPP4.

If you connect the SSD/stick with the images inside the DCIM folder to the iPP4 and open Apple’s Photos, the drive can be selected in its sidebar like e.g. most digital cameras and you then just import.

IMHO you should use FileBrowser in whatever incarnation for the transfer from the older iPP3 - besides a more stable interfacing with external media (besides various other functionality), it allows to copy directly out of the Photos library and it is far less prone to errors compared to Apple’s Files.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
iMazing - you’ll have full control of what you backup from the one iPad and restore to the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.