Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thezine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Hello all,

I just bought a new MBA Rev. B 1.6Ghz 120Hdd and I am new to the MBA.
I don't know about you guys but my battery just take at most 2:20 hrs and I don't understand what drain it so much . I am a long time user of macrumors forums and many of you guys have macbook airs that take more than 4 hrs.

I am using bluetooth and wifi and half dimmed screen, usual usage is Web Surfing, and working on office documents.

How can I figure if it's a problem coming from the hardware or my mac os doesn't show me the proper information about the time remaining ?

Thanks in advance for your advice .

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
I owuld suggest a full charge and discharge to calibrate. Although technically not necassary it would be the first thing I would look at if you're trying to track something down.

Also worth noting is that a lot of Air owners, myself included, have undervolted which does give some gains in battery life

Thezine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for your answer.

You know I feel bad that it barely making it to 2 hours with only 5 battery cycles.

I will try to calibrate ..

Thanks.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
also install an app called coconut battery which will tell you the health of your battery, could be the quick answer

Good luck :)

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Turn brightness down as much as you can. Plus in the battery settings put it on better life. Eliminate background apps as much as you can.

Thezine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
I don't find them in the "energy saver" section of "system preferences" ?

Any idea how can I activate those profiles ?

Thank you very much.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My best advice is to use the computer like a laptop computer and don't leave it plugged in all the time.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yeah. Just use it. I'm at 126 cycles on my battery and I got this system on June 11ish. Wow. Not even 2 months... I amaze myself lol

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA

Thank you very much.

Hmm, my macbook pro has different energy settings if you go into the settings and power settings. Perhaps they are always enabled for the MBA? Try clicking on the battery in the upper right, should give you different choices on how to run.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Hmm, my macbook pro has different energy settings if you go into the settings and power settings. Perhaps they are always enabled for the MBA? Try clicking on the battery in the upper right, should give you different choices on how to run.

Those were on and off after some leopard update. I don't have it on my Rev C but I had it on my Rev A

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

Thank you very much.

That's because those settings exist only on the Macbook pro's that have two graphics cards, thus enabling a switch between the integrated and dedicated cards.

The Air just uses the integrated graphics, so no switch is possible.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
That's because those settings exist only on the Macbook pro's that have two graphics cards, thus enabling a switch between the integrated and dedicated cards.

The Air just uses the integrated graphics, so no switch is possible.

Mines the early 2008, only the 8600 GT. Has the switch.

Its probably always on longer battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.