Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Hello.
This would seem like an easy thing to do, but I can't for the life of me work out how to do it, and I'm hoping someone has figured it out.

I've got my mobile provider (O2) set up in my contacts, with their telephone number, email address and website etc, but now they've sent me a text message, and all I need to do is link it to the same contact. (I know it's not linked already because in my contact book it has a picture attached, but in messages it's just the default picture)

But there doesn't seem to be a way to look at the number the message has come from. If you click on their name (which is shown as O2_) and then 'info' and 'add to existing contact' nothing really happens. It just lets you pick the contact you want, but nothing gets inserted into it.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
The problem is that they're using an alphanumeric SMS sender. You cannot link those to a contact. Only actual phone numbers can be linked to a contact, and "O2_" is not a phone number.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Oh right. like you say, i can only attach the ones with numbers. cheers for the reply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.