Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nim6us

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I did a fair amount searching and was unable to find what I thought should be a quick answer. I need to know if my iPhone or iPad is connecting at 2.4 or 5 GHz. I saw a lot of answers that pointed you to the router/modem/gateway, however I want to know if the iOS device can tell you somewhere in settings, or if perhaps there's an app?

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I think the only way natively is to establish different network names at the router for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Then you can check at your device to which one you're connected.

Don't know about an app.

Last edited:

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
As @rshrugged stated, naming your networks differently is the only way. For example, simon_network (2.4GHz) and simon_network_1 (5 GHz) would be the best way to tell (or any other variation).

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Yeah I just have the two SSID broadcasts named differently according to their frequency.

There actually is zero need for me to have a 5GHz broadcast going lol, my internet is so bad only 15mbps down and 1 up, so I will see no benefits of going up to 5GHz. My router is capable of it though so I figured "why not". I don't live in a densely populated place (apartment complex) so 2.4GHz isn't conjested or anything. I get the same speeds on both frequencies. I doubt this is how it works but I figured of most of my family is using the 2.4GHz band, maybe the 5GHz one won't be slowed down as bad but I don't know.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If you are in another room from your router you are (almost certainly) connected by 2.4Ghz.:D

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Not necessarily. 802.11ac is 5GHz only. I'm always on 802.11ac even away from the room the router is placed in.
Same, I stay connected to my specific 5GHz SSID broadcast through my whole house. Now, I live in a very compact (nice way of saying small) house, so. But 5GHz does penetrate walls, just not as well as 2.4GHz. I still get 2-3 bars through the whole upstairs, which is right above the very centralized, and if I do say so myself, well-placed router.

Plazman

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
SF Bay Area
Hold Option while clicking Wi-Fi indicator on OS X. AirPort Utility gives me other information for iOS devices.
macOS may have changed names and AirPorts are discontinued, but 5 years after this post, this vintage reply was just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Reactions: anzio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.