Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I thought AirTags used to display their remaining battery life in the Find My app, but now I can't find any battery indicators for any of my AirTags. Their batteries were last replaced over a year ago. How can I tell how much battery life is left?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Umm...a quick search on airtag battery indicator would get you many comments on how Apple removed that from FindMy for AirTags months ago.

What happens now is that you get a notification when the battery level is getting low (appears to be when you have a month or so of average use left) - then the battery indicator reappears, showing a low battery level.

Funny enough, for 3rd party items - such as the Chipolo Card Spot, the battery indicator remains.

Edit: but to directly answer your question - you can't.

Reactions: addamas

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You'll get a notification.
This^…

After about a year you’ll get a notification. I can’t say with certainty because I only have a few AirTags, but you have time to replace the battery. I waited a month after getting the notification and it still worked.

This being said, I wouldn’t wait a month if you feel it’s important for the AirTag to function.

Reactions: NO🇳🇴

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I find the battery low indication is erratic. I replaced batteries in three devices and one still complains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.