Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I was watching the WWDC 2013 Live demo and I noticed that their demos included iOS 7 that was at ridiculously fast speeds. It kinda gives me false hope that iOS 8 will somehow be that fast. Not complaining about the features or the OS itself but I really liked the fluidity and responsiveness that they demoed in the product. Why is that it's super fast in demo but the speeds aren't up to par at the moment?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was watching the WWDC 2013 Live demo and I noticed that their demos included iOS 7 that was at ridiculously fast speeds. It kinda gives me false hope that iOS 8 will somehow be that fast. Not complaining about the features or the OS itself but I really liked the fluidity and responsiveness that they demoed in the product. Why is that it's super fast in demo but the speeds aren't up to par at the moment?

i hope ios 8 cuts back on the features and polishes everything up instead.
like leopard --> snow leopard

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada

I remember watching this youtube video where some guy had found how to modify the animations, how fast they are and everything, it's up to apple to change it and we'll never know why they didn't make it as fast as it could have been

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
i hope ios 8 cuts back on the features and polishes everything up instead.
like leopard --> snow leopard

Same here. It took them 5 years to polish iOS from v. 1.0 to 6.1.4, if they can do it in one, I will be very happy!

iOS 8 needs no real new features. They need to focus on: How can we remove unneeded stuff and speed up the OS on older devices?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
7.1 was suppose to speed up animations but I don't see anything.

klogg

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Does anyone else feels that lag after you unlock phone, you can't do anything for a half a second. I click on a messages icon, it goes grey but it won't open. I have 5s on 7.1.1

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm watching the demo right now, and it looks a lot slower. Looks like it took a full second longer to launch and close apps. Unless you're talking about the official iOS 7 introduction video, where the screen images were simulated.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I have the first iPhone with one of the first OSs, and many animation speeds such as unlocking the device and exiting apps are faster than in iOS 7. With iOS 8, I fully expect Apple to tweak some of the animations, and focus on speed and optimization.

Last year, Apple focused on redesigning iOS and optimizing/speeding up OS X. Apple even had OS X engineers working on iOS.

This year, the opposite is happening. Apple has iOS engineers working on OS X. Apple is focused on redesigning OS X and optimizing/speeding up iOS.

What I listed are overall focuses. Of course, Apple's major OS releases include additional features as well.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

Their demo is actually much slower... Go double check once more.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
The original ios 7.0 was damn slow but I think 7.1 is matching their speed.. Took them 8 months(including beta releases) to get that speed which they already had

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It's a bit of both. If you look at iOS 7 video around 5 mins and also at apple website demos on iPhone 5S it's the speed you see at 5 mins. Later on in the video it's a lot slower. Why would they demo the fast speed? Makes me wonder when we'll get it. Everything else about iOS 7 I LOVE'

The demo is using simulated images. The actual OS was slow.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Aren't the demos actually right from a device?

I think the OP was talking about the "demo" in the iOS introduction video, which was a few minutes into the video I posted. That used simulated images.

And when he mentioned the demos on Apple's website, there used to be a page where you could press a button to demonstrate the features of the device, which also used simulated images. I know the actual demonstration during the keynote was real.

Neryus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Does anyone else feels that lag after you unlock phone, you can't do anything for a half a second. I click on a messages icon, it goes grey but it won't open. I have 5s on 7.1.1

This. I hate the fact that I have to wait for the animation to finish, before i can swipe to another home screen or open an app. In iOS 6 and older, this was not like this...

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Aren't the demos actually right from a device?

I think the OP was talking about the "demo" in the iOS introduction video, which was a few minutes into the video I posted. That used simulated images.

And when he mentioned the demos on Apple's website, there used to be a page where you could press a button to demonstrate the features of the device, which also used simulated images. I know the actual demonstration during the keynote was real.

This. I hate the fact that I have to wait for the animation to finish, before i can swipe to another home screen or open an app. In iOS 6 and older, this was not like this...

http://www.apple.com/ca/ios/

This is what I was talking about. Take a note of the unlocking animations of the device. I wouldn't mind that speed. That's actually quite up to par with previous versions.

klogg

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012

Yeah man, my girlfriend has iPhone 4s with 6.1.3, and it feels much faster then my 5s on 7.1.1. When you quit stuff from multitasking, basic stuff, phone, messages, calendar... And then re-open it side by side, 4s blow 5s out of the water.

Also that lag when unlocking is so annoying to me, I can't describe. Hope those bugs will be resolved, and new iOS will be faster, or at least like 6 was.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Yeah man, my girlfriend has iPhone 4s with 6.1.3, and it feels much faster then my 5s on 7.1.1. When you quit stuff from multitasking, basic stuff, phone, messages, calendar... And then re-open it side by side, 4s blow 5s out of the water.

Also that lag when unlocking is so annoying to me, I can't describe. Hope those bugs will be resolved, and new iOS will be faster, or at least like 6 was.

Would you not be happy with the speeds that they demoed? Those were close to iOS 6 speeds. Look at the link above your post. The unlocking speed is insane.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

What I can't stand is that over the years I NEVER had lag moving from one home screen to the other. With iOS 7.1.1 the icons stutter from page to page on the iPhone 4S. How I miss iOS 6.1.3 or 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.