Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
All of these phones that have multiple software keys, how come none of them incorporated swipe to go home? It's very natural and apple had the home button for so long it isn't like their competitors didn't have enough time.

Just a curious thought/question.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
All of these phones that have multiple software keys, how come none of them incorporated swipe to go home? It's very natural and apple had the home button for so long it isn't like their competitors didn't have enough time.

OnePlus gives the option in their 5T now
https://www.droid-life.com/2018/01/30/oneplus-5t-navigation-gestures-iphone-x-video/

Curious if other OEMs start doing it too. When I tried the iPhone X, I did get used to the swiping but not sure if I prefer it over navigating my Pixel 2 XL

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

It may seem natural once you have retrained but otherwise maybe not

It's a solution for Apple where the problem does not exist on other phones

It may also conflict with other swipes like up to apps page or edge bar with Samsung

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Another interesting thought is that Apple could probably put it in OS update for all iPhones.

So when your iPhone 6's home button breaks, instead of switching on that "assistive-touch" virtual home button workaround (or whatever its called) you could just turn on iPhone X gestures. That would be cool.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Well Samsung avoided that and implemented hard press to go home, it also works as a way to wake the phone up, so I find it to be a better solution.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Well Samsung avoided that and implemented hard press to go home, it also works as a way to wake the phone up, so I find it to be a better solution.
I looove my force touch home button on note 8. Brilliant solution IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.