Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
If Apple is adopting the GSMA eSIM standard (QR Code Scan to add a provider) why doesn't the iPad Pro with eSIM support it like the iPhone XS on iOS 12.1 β?

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not entirely sure if the iPads have a regular esim. I thought they had a special version of an embedded Apple sim of which the concept is the same, but it's not entirely implemented the same way. But I could be wrong.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Yes, iPad Pro does NOT have a regular eSim like the Apple Watch has. We had a thread about this over st the iPad forum.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I'm not entirely sure if the iPads have a regular esim. I thought they had a special version of an embedded Apple sim of which the concept is the same, but it's not entirely implemented the same way. But I could be wrong.
Yes, iPad Pro does NOT have a regular eSim like the Apple Watch has. We had a thread about this over st the iPad forum.

Oh wow. That's disappointing :(

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Oh wow. That's disappointing :(
It is! Especially since carriers like Vodafone in Germany charge extra if you need an eSim and a physical multisim along with your current contract. Like 5€/month for the eSim, and another 5€ for the physical sim for the iPad, while they claim the eSim could be used in 3 devices at the same time. Hope that maybe in one week the situation will change :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.