Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Hi everyone.

I uploaded a picture to the forum, and the uploaded image is some what sort of dull in comparison to the image when previewing it on my Mac.
Does anyone perhaps know why?

Upload to the left and my local preview on the right.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 11.20.53.png

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
In which program do you do the “local preview”? What file type is the image?

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
In which program do you do the “local preview”? What file type is the image?
It’s the same in both preview app and “Pixea” app. Filetype is jpeg (edited from CR2 in Adobe Photoshop) other files/images remain the colors just fine when uploaded.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Make sure the color space of the uploaded jpeg is sRGB and not something else. I’d guess your uploaded one is in Adobe RGB or is unassigned.

Reactions: arw and Dutch60

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Thanks, I’ll check that right away
Thanks for asking the question as I have been puzzled by this often.

Make sure the color space of the uploaded jpeg is sRGB and not something else. I’d guess your uploaded one is in Adobe RGB or is unassigned.
Thanks. I'll go check… 👍
It always seems to my not very good pair of eyes that my photos uploaded on MacRumours seem less saturated when compared side by side with say Preview or Photos on the Mac.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for asking the question as I have been puzzled by this often.

Thanks. I'll go check… 👍
It always seems to my not very good pair of eyes that my photos uploaded on MacRumours seem less saturated when compared side by side with say Preview or Photos on the Mac.

I’ve never noticed a huge difference when uploading here but some forums compress images which can lead to slight color shifts. What Dockland is experiencing would not be just a forum upload discrepancy however.

Reactions: arkitect

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Filetype is jpeg (edited from CR2 in Adobe Photoshop) other files/images remain the colors just fine when uploaded.
If you already have Photoshop, then instead of saving the picture like usual, you can use
File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) and tick Convert to sRGB before saving.

Reactions: arkitect

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
If you already have Photoshop, then instead of saving the picture like usual, you can use
File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) and tick Convert to sRGB before saving.

Indeed, this was it. I have saved that specific file "as a copy" and well, now I know.
Thanks everyone helping me/us out. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: kenoh and arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.