Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple and Mac friends, not sure if it has been done before via free software tools but I managed to painstakingly, very difficult (lots of hours and beyond sleep schedule trial and error) put Boot Camp Windows 11 into it's own separate drive with free software tools (still observing) on the hard disk but I plan to upgrade the Mac's to Crucial's SSD because it has a software which uses RAM disk technology (Windows only but God-willing they port to macOS) to preserve the write (TBW) of their SSDs as well make it up to 10x or more faster (depending on the speed of the RAM at least in my experience), however, when I put the hard disk on the USB dock, it's not recognized by Disk Utility, it's not in Terminal (Diskutil List command), not in any Windows partitioning app and the power LED button on the HUB flashes (it doesn't, it's just steady on other drives, SSDs and other hard disks).

This original Apple hard disk is by Seagate, model: ST2000DM001

I'm guessing even though it's a commercially available hard disk, it's been customized by Seagate for Apple to only work as an Apple internal drive (I have yet to test it on an actual PC as an internal drive)?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. Yes it was part of the original  Fusion Drive, I won't fuse drives again- nothing beats different OSes with each OS being in it's own dedicated drive, the less partitions/container+volumes per disk the better. However, I will put it on an actual PC as an internal drive and try it again as an external drive since it's all Windows Boot Camp now, it's not "piggybacking" on macOS after Boot Camp Assistant created the Windows volume.

*I replaced the 128GB Apple Blade SSD, it overheated and/or used up its TBW after using Windows partitioning software 1.5 years ago to resize Windows Boot Camp back it on a smaller drive but non-Apple partitioning sofware software seem to not know how to resize, move Apple's containers + volumes, being APFS- it may have looped infinitely while I was asleep.

Also, Windows 11 may have overheated the Bluetooth part of the Bluetooth + Wifi Combo module although it worked w/ the Windows 10 Apple Windows Support software, when one boots back to macOS, it sometimes see the Magic Mouse at least. Bluetooth module was having a hard time (not that hard but over 1.5 years of struggling coz' Macs won't really support Windows 11, it may have overheated). I won't pair Bluetooth Magic Mouse or Magic Keyboard whenever I use Windows- I'll use the usually PC mouse & keyboard laying around). The two OSes are finally separated and have their own drives for the first (I think this is the first done w/ free tools. It may be easier with hardware cloners).

Is the disk originally a part of a fusion drive?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.