Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Sending a question to the seller gave me this very weird response:

We have had no problems with Our satisfied customers, APPLE (who refers customers to Us), or other

System Manufacturers.

Thusly, OMNI will continue with it’s expansion program, and wish you well with your QA endeavors.

And We believe that people will continue to exercise their privilege to choose as they please.

And Our Feedbacks can attest to Our integrity.

So, do what you must, and We too will do what We must, to the fullest !!!

So in other words, they completely ignored the fact that Apple Spec is not the same as JEDEC spec.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if you're uncomfortable buying from them, look elsewhere. given the information you provided, i don't think i'd order from them. as realistic or legitimate as it seems, their eBay page just seems odd to me.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
if you're uncomfortable buying from them, look elsewhere. given the information you provided, i don't think i'd order from them. as realistic or legitimate as it seems, their eBay page just seems odd to me.

I have no plans on buying their JEDEC memory... I just can't believe they're so incompetent.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I have no plans on buying their JEDEC memory... I just can't believe they're so incompetent.

I've bought from omni before, but from their website, not through ebay. The ram was good quality and shipping/responsiveness was good. That said, what a weird response!!:confused: If you check out their website, they claim their ram 'meets or exceeds' JEDEC specifications so...

And for the record, I bought 1 GB (512x2) of PC-3200 for my former PowerMac.

YT

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Exactly... JEDEC is not sufficient for Mac Pro ram, according to Apple.

:confused: Have they changed something since publishing the user's guide? p.32:
"When purchasing DIMMs for use in Mac computers, make sure that the memory vendor conforms to the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC) specification"

Where do they say JEDEC is not sufficient?

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
:confused: Have they changed something since publishing the user's guide? p.32:
"When purchasing DIMMs for use in Mac computers, make sure that the memory vendor conforms to the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC) specification"

Where do they say JEDEC is not sufficient?

I don't believe that you read that page correctly. JEDEC is necessary to get the DIMMs to actually work (i.e. that it has the correct timing and communication circuitry). DIMMs without heat sinks that fit Apple requirements but are JEDEC certified will actually work. But because they will generate more heat will lead to one or both of two things; increased fan usage and/or decreased performance as the system slows the RAM down to reduce heat.

cheers.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I don't believe that you read that page correctly. JEDEC is necessary to get the DIMMs to actually work (i.e. that it has the correct timing and communication circuitry). DIMMs without heat sinks that fit Apple requirements but are JEDEC certified will actually work. But because they will generate more heat will lead to one or both of two things; increased fan usage and/or decreased performance as the system slows the RAM down to reduce heat.

cheers.

hehe.. I read the page correctly, but not the thread. The complaint is about the heat sinks.. JEDEC ram is what apple recommends, that's all it says on that page - but at the back it mentions only 'Apple Approved Heat Sinks' :rolleyes: . But, the odd thing is that most of their (omni's) ram has what looks like apple heat sinks, but that particular set does not.

Good heat sinks?

Bad Heat Sinks?

Anyway, a response like the one posted in this thread is disconcerting...

YT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.