Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
We've all seen the JRE video where he cracked the back of an iPhone 15 Pro, and the most common explanation in the face of other videos where people failed to do the same is that he's "really strong", but then I saw this video which claims to explain why it happened, but it seems counterintuitive to me. At the end of the short clip, you can see that the back glass appears to actually be quite flexible -- they bend it a good amount (to show it's alleged flimsiness) and it doesn't break.

Presumably no amount of pressing on the back of the phone would lead to it bending that much, so how does that glass actually break?

Side note, a few people trying this (which seems dumb to try) have noted the phone makes a cracking sound before the glass actually breaks. I wonder what that could be? My friend who has an iPhone 15 Pro has a clicking sound if they press on the back glass.

Reactions: blkjedi954

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Glass is not the most durable material in the world. It can come with latent structural defects. I’d be curious to see out of 10 iPhone that underwent the same JRE stress test, just how many would also get cracked that easily.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
We've all seen the JRE video where he cracked the back of an iPhone 15 Pro, and the most common explanation in the face of other videos where people failed to do the same is that he's "really strong", but then I saw this video which claims to explain why it happened, but it seems counterintuitive to me. At the end of the short clip, you can see that the back glass appears to actually be quite flexible -- they bend it a good amount (to show it's alleged flimsiness) and it doesn't break.

Presumably no amount of pressing on the back of the phone would lead to it bending that much, so how does that glass actually break?

Side note, a few people trying this (which seems dumb to try) have noted the phone makes a cracking sound before the glass actually breaks. I wonder what that could be? My friend who has an iPhone 15 Pro has a clicking sound if they press on the back glass.
As JRE says, “glass is glass and glass breaks”.. glass is unpredictable and can break easily on one device but survive on another device in the same situation. Also, you can see that JRE is, or was, a weightlifter.. so his strength had something to do with it.

Last edited:

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
That seems like it would have to be a very large variance for it to quickly and easily break on one phone but withstand lots of force on another

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Let’s be honest, in the end of the day, all of you are using a case on your iPhone.

So these tests are not real world tests in the end.

I am sure some of you will say that I am wrong because you are using it naked. Well, you are the minority so it is doesn’t matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.