Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hello all
Recently my 1TB ssd packed up, and I had to install the original 128gb drive the MBP 2015 retina came with. I am really diligent with deleting and housekeeping, but one thing I can't stop and that is ClouKit. it is part of the "caches" folder. It uses between 1,6 and 2,4 GB of drive space. I delete it, 2min later it is back and full again. I also suspect it to be the culprit that ate up the largest part 2gb phone hot spot data in less than 20min 😡🤬
Is there a terminal command, to disable CloudKit from running?? Most annoying!!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm baffled what CloudKid is and how it relates to iOS 14. If anything, it sounds like a MacBook Pro issue and not related to iOS at all.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
I'm baffled what CloudKid is and how it relates to iOS 14. If anything, it sounds like a MacBook Pro issue and not related to iOS at all.
Hello Wildsky typo and where it is, is in the edit!
And It is an annoying part of modern "control" software, which is perfectly fine if you live in the first world and data space is cheap and bandwidth unlimited and uncapped

Reactions: 0128672

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hello all just as a foot note, cloudkit had just now a size of 4,9 GB!!
Surely I can't be the only one who has a problem with that kind of space monger. I can understand that Apple would like to know what's going on and to sync the different devices with cloud takes some info but 5 gig is too much!!

swegirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
i am having the same issue, did you figure it out?

Specificallly, my ~/Library/Caches folder is like ~300GB. If I delete it and check (with du -sh) it goes down to like 0GB. Now if I wait a few minutes and run du -sh again, it's back at 300GB??

So I legit can't do anything.

Is there a way to disable this caching?

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
i am having the same issue, did you figure it out?

Specificallly, my ~/Library/Caches folder is like ~300GB. If I delete it and check (with du -sh) it goes down to like 0GB. Now if I wait a few minutes and run du -sh again, it's back at 300GB??

So I legit can't do anything.

Is there a way to disable this caching?
Heyo
No could not really resolve it however it seems to have stopped from reloading all the time.
I either go to magician or use the utility app to force quit the application from running and deleted everything connected to adobe and most apple caches adobe is definitely a data collector and distributor.
Try to do it with network/wifi off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.