Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brightdawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
So, with contact posters, you can define an appearance what will be seen on the side of the one who is called.
How is this transmitted? I can understand this for Facetime audio calls, etc. But how does it work with a normal mobile cell phone call? The only way, I could imagine, would be a central service where all contact posters are stored, and the called iPhone looks up the mobile number on this central service and downloads the poster. Is this the way it works?

bertimus2002

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I've got 2 devices on iOS 17...so far, contact posters don't come in on the call screen as demoed. Seems like a work in progress yet, but we haven't gotten it to work quite yet.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
There’s no central service. It’s just like sending a photo to a stranger’s iPhone, only in this case, you send your contact poster to stranger’s Home Screen or Lock Screen.
Is it really like that or is it more in line with how the current iMessage profile stuff works that allows you to share a picture and name in an iMessage chat?

The latter would be the most humane way: specify a poster and flag it as „Automatically for all Contacts“, so your device pushes out the updated poster to all your contacts once, whose devices in return take the info and add it to your contact (if it exists in their contacts list)

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
I don’t like how it’s linked to your AppleID photo. I changed my contact photo and my AppleID also changed with it.

brightdawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
There’s no central service. It’s just like sending a photo to a stranger’s iPhone, only in this case, you send your contact poster to stranger’s Home Screen or Lock Screen.
yeah .. but how does it send this? There is no transmission channel when doing a plain mobile cell phone call. Maybe a an invisible iMessage in the background?

Reactions: LuisNeto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.