Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
Hopefully not a too stupid question... I just got an email from Apple saying my free trial is extended for 3 months. That reminded me that I never actually tried logging into Apple TV+. I now want to check it out. I have an Apple TV (the hardware device). I notice there is an application on there called Apple TV. Is this my gateway to Apple TV+ (the streaming service), or is there a separate ATV+ app that I need to download? I generally avoid the Apple TV app, because it mixes things up (shows Netflix titles next to Criterion Channel and Crave titles, etc., and its just a disorganized mess). But if it's my gateway to ATV+, I'll look into using it again.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You want to download the black AppleTV application. Once installed, you will need to log in with your Apple ID and you should be good to go. Once you have signed into Apple TV, on the “Watch Now” option at the top of the screen, scroll down until you see the AppleTV+ logo under the channels listening. You should see AppleTV+, CBS Access, Showtime etc. Tap on AppleTV+ and you will see the programming made just for AppleTV+.

Reactions: outskirtsofinfinity

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Most streaming devices (Roku, Fire Stick, many smart TVs and of course the Apple TV hardware) support the Apple TV + app. Look for it in their App store. A more convenient option to consider rather than watching on your portable device.

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
You don't need to install anything extra.

One person told me to look for a black Apple TV app and install it. One person told me to install an Apple TV+ app. And one person told me to not install anything.

I think I’ll just be calling Apple support lol.

Last edited:

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
One person told me to look for a black Apple TV app and install it. One person told me to install an Apple TV+ app. And one person told me to not install anything.

I think I’ll just be calling Apple support lol.

You said in your original post that you have an Apple TV device with the Apple TV app already installed on it. You do not need to install any additional apps. Open the Apple TV app and scroll down a little and find the Channels section, that contains the round Apple TV+ icon. Select the icon with your remote to open it and you will see the Apple TV+ content.

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
You said in your original post that you have an Apple TV device with the Apple TV app already installed on it. You do not need to install any additional apps. Open the Apple TV app and scroll down a little and find the Channels section, that contains the round Apple TV+ icon. Select the icon with your remote to open it and you will see the Apple TV+ content.

Okay, if this “black” app is the same as the one that came autoinstalled with the Apple TV (hardware), then I understand. I just never noticed its colour, as I’ve been pretty much avoiding it. I’ll try it out tonight. I appreciate your response - thanks. (For every other streaming service, I had to download an app. So I thought there might be an ATV+ app as well, thus some confusion on my part.)

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Just FYI, not everyone gets a 3 month extension. It's only extended to February. The date that ends depends on what day you initiated your Apple TV subscription trial initially. The only people who will get 3 months extra are those who had subscriptions ending in November.

poolcoinshop

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020

Apple TV​

The Apple TV app works on Apple TV (4th Gen) or newer. If you bought the Apple TV at the end of 2015 or later you'll be fine. To ensure you have the app, download and install the latest version of tvOS on your Apple TV. Once the update concludes, search for the new TV app on your set-top box, if you don't see it on the Home screen.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Usually the app in question is on the upper left of the screen, first icon in the Dock, or first row of icons below the scrolling video/show feed.
IMG_0147.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.