Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THEHOLYGHOST

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I just got a 2015 Honda Civic EX which has the touchscreen display, I have an iphone 5S and i plugged it into my car using the lightning cable, but nothing pops up.

How do I enable Apple Carplay?

EDIT: just seeing now that apple basically held off the carplay release to all the models it promised, does anyone know when they are going to release the software?

Last edited:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I just got a 2015 Honda Civic EX which has the touchscreen display, I have an iphone 5S and i plugged it into my car using the lightning cable, but nothing pops up.

How do I enable Apple Carplay?

You'll first need to make sure that your car actually supports CarPlay. Only certain models support CarPlay as of this moment.

THEHOLYGHOST

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
You'll first need to make sure that your car actually supports CarPlay. Only certain models support CarPlay as of this moment.

EDIT: just seeing now that apple basically held off the carplay release to all the models it promised, do you know when they are going to release the software?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
EDIT: just seeing now that apple basically held off the carplay release to all the models it promised, do you know when they are going to release the software?

Apple hasn't held off the CarPlay release. It's been available since iOS 7.1, I believe, and DEFINITELY enabled starting with iOS 8.

It's up to your car manufacturer to enable CarPlay on the head unit. Currently only Ferrari (and I believe the new Hyundai Genesis) actually have CarPlay enabled on their OEM head unit.

You'll need to wait for Honda to update their head units (which may mean your car is out of luck if there's no way to update its software), or you'll need to buy an aftermarket unit that supports CarPlay.

THEHOLYGHOST

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Apple hasn't held off the CarPlay release. It's been available since iOS 7.1, I believe, and DEFINITELY enabled starting with iOS 8.

It's up to your car manufacturer to enable CarPlay on the head unit. Currently only Ferrari (and I believe the new Hyundai Genesis) actually have CarPlay enabled on their OEM head unit.

You'll need to wait for Honda to update their head units (which may mean your car is out of luck if there's no way to update its software), or you'll need to buy an aftermarket unit that supports CarPlay.

well not to all models but held off the release to some models it promised, it literally shows carplay being used on hondas head unit on the apple carplay website meanwhile its not available for us lol and i used to be able to see a carplay icon in settings on the iphone? is that still there and where?

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
well not to all models but held off the release to some models it promised, it literally shows carplay being used on hondas head unit on the apple carplay website meanwhile its not available for us lol and i used to be able to see a carplay icon in settings on the iphone? is that still there and where?

While it may be a Honda, your specific Honda model may not individually support CarPlay. Just because Apple claims to support Honda doesn't mean that support comes with every model Honda makes.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Well first off, that's just a website mockup. It's just the CarPlay UI photoshopped onto a blank screen. Honda probably just provided the photo. The head unit itself may even be a photoshop creation.

They haven't promised any models though - they only ever said these brands will support it. I mean, Mercedes has shown a video of CarPlay being used on the 2015 C Class but it's not actually available to be used on that model yet. It's not like Apple is telling Honda "You can put it in the ILX but the not the Civic muwahahahah!" It's up to Honda to device which vehicles get access to the feature and when.

As far as a settings icon, I don't know. I've never seen it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.