Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonewallkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
I have a setup at work where the computer is in the office and the ethernet plugs into the wall. From there it runs in the walls across the building to another location. I just got a security camera system that requires the hard drive to be plugged into the computer and the router. The router (which is 100ft away through walls) has no more available ports. I have a switch and an extra wireless router. How do I hook up the DVR to the computer and the ethernet connection?
qDIzmHx

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Connect the switch to the jack in the wall then connect your computer and DVR to the switch. Do not connect the wireless router.

Note, if you do not control the rest of the network, you may find your jack becomes disabled. At that point you would need to contact the network administrator to correct the issue.

stonewallkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Resolved thanks! I didn't realized the modem was sending info down to the office, I thought it was the other way around. THanks!

Reactions: belvdr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.