Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I've got a bad habit of frequenting a certain forum that I increasingly don't get along with. I've tried quitting several times, but it's like cigarrettes. I need all the help I can get.

I've blocked the site on my laptop and router, but I'd like to block it on my iPod too. There wasn't an option for this is the Parental Controls, but I know that one way to do this is editing the hosts file. iOS 5.0.1 untethered (redsn0w).

I tried installing and enabling OpenSSH. Connection refused. I tried iExplorer. I downloaded the /private/etc/hosts file, edited it, saved changes, and uploaded it with an overwrite. The line I added was "0.0.0.0 macstack.net" (without quotes) which works on my laptop.

No luck. Mobile Safari seems to be ignoring the hosts file. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I figured it out.

I was able to get SSH working, and then I compared the output of "cat /etc/hosts" on my iPod with the output of that on my Mac. Turns out it was an issue with the line-ending formatting. I uploaded the Mac's hosts file to the iPod via scp and it worked! The site is now blocked on my iPod no matter what browser or WiFi network I'm on.

knag

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Hia, please tell me the full steps of blocking a website on my iPhone, I feel I am in the same situation, please help thanks

knag

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I am addicted to a website,I keep going onit which I know is wrongI have the 4s with 5.0.1, it is not jail broken, please someone help me to block a website, I do not want to use it with any browser on my iPhone thnks please help !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.