Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dashum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
how do i boot into os 9 on my osx ibook?

I'm trying to install Diablo II on it and it won't work in osx when it sets up the classic environment.

I tried going into System Preferences, and changing the startup disk but it doesn't do anything.

I tried holding option while the laptop starts up and it goes to a screen with a hard drive, a refresh button, and a right arrow.

The refresh button just seems to refresh the hard drives, the only hard drive on the screen is the osx one and the right arrow proceeds.

Please help.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If it's a G4 iBook or any machine with DDR Memory (FW800 for the PowerMacs) you don't.

Otherwise some of the OS 9 boot "capable" machines may need to have OS 9 drivers enabled on the machine.

Which may mean reformatting the drive with these drivers turned on.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
If you already have os 9 installed on the comuter, go to startup disk in system preferences. Than, click on os 9 and restrt the computer. To go back to os x, startup the computer holding down the "x" key.

DCKiwi

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
If you do have one of the non-OS9 booting machines you could probably still run OS9 natively using Mac-on-Linux, I think. Haven;t tried it myself yet but their website (maconlinux.com) suggests it runs almost as fast as a natively booting OS9.

You would, of course have to install a linux distro on your ibook. I think Yellow Dog Linux comes with Mac-on-Linux included.

Hope that helps.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the "option key" trick only works for bootable volumes, not os's, meaning that if your ibook was capable of booting os 9 but it was on the same partition as os x, it won't help you - you need to set it in the system prefs as mentioned above. and while a linux install running an emulator may be an option, I would not personally consider it a viable option for gaming in any way.....oh yeah!

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
Diablo II, once updated with the appropriate patches from Blizzard's site, runs natively under Mac OS X as a Carbon app. There should be no need to switch to Mac OS 9 to play. Are you saying you're having problems with running the installer on the CD under Classic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.