Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtRisk702

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2023
I purchased a 2TB OWC ACCELSIOR 1M2 PCIE NVMe M.2 SSD for my 7,1. I know everyone says booting from the SSD improves speed and performance but I have no idea how to begin the process. Ive been looking at guides and videos and I'm not following the process. I can seem to get to my recovery screen or a boot menu by using CMD+R or CMD+D. not sure if I'm supposed to use Disk Utility or BootCamp? I'm kinda lost If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. THX

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
Have you installed any supported macOS for 7,1 on that drive ?
If you had, then it should be available as boot device in boot menu (hold Alt or Option key on boot).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I purchased a 2TB OWC ACCELSIOR 1M2 PCIE NVMe M.2 SSD for my 7,1. I know everyone says booting from the SSD improves speed and performance but I have no idea how to begin the process. Ive been looking at guides and videos and I'm not following the process. I can seem to get to my recovery screen or a boot menu by using CMD+R or CMD+D. not sure if I'm supposed to use Disk Utility or BootCamp? I'm kinda lost If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. THX
I don’t think “everyone” says booting from another SSD is faster- the Apple SSD in your Mac may be faster than the OWC disk.
What guides and videos have you looked at which didn’t help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.