Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
I'm a three-week macnewbie, and I was wondering how I could change my computer's name. My computer is a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X. I'm not referring to the "Macintosh HD" icon. Also, can the user name be changed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Simple

Go to the Sharing System Pref (File Sharing Control Panel under 9), and type the network name you'd prefer...

For user name, go to Users System Pref, and 'Edit User'

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Only for mac networks...

I'm not sure about this, but I think the name change in system prefs will only affect a Mac network with Apple protocols. Under other networks you are still stuck with an IP.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Matthew

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay in order for me to get the osx updates i need to enter an administrator password. how do i do this? i thought i already set up myself for administrator access. what give? help. thanks.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Re: Passwords with updates

Originally posted by krossfyter
okay in order for me to get the osx updates i need to enter an administrator password. how do i do this? i thought i already set up myself for administrator access. what give? help. thanks.

Even though you may be the administrator, OS X says that you still have to input the password, which I am assuming you know what it is. It is just for security measures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.